Craftsman 26HP Battery / Electrical Issue

Old 09-02-10, 09:56 AM
Question Craftsman 26HP Battery / Electrical Issue

I tried searching past posts but couldn't find any solution to my issue.

Last week I noticed that while cutting my lawn my battery indicator was showing a negative charge. After shutting off my mower deck the indicator went to 0.

After shutting off the tractor and trying to refire the battery was dead. I can fire the tractor using a portable battery jump and the tractor will run, but now the mower deck will start for a few seconds but then slowly dies out and will not start again.

In addition the battery will not recharge while the tractor is running.

I have checked the battery cable and posts and cleaned. all connections I can find are tight and clean of any dirt etc. I am lost as to the what is causing this issue.

any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, for starters, how old is the battery? Do you know the battery is good? Have you had battery problems prior to this? You might just need a new one, especially if it's over 2 years old.

Old 09-14-10, 08:56 AM
Hi Cheese,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Just to be sure I went and got a new battery. As expected the mower cranked right over, but stayed at a neutral charge.

When I engage the mower deck the gauge drops to negative amps.

Prior to this I have not had any battery issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-14-10, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure it would benefit cheese and any others with ideas to have the model number of your mower and make of the engine.
It does seem as though you have a charging issue, knowing your model will help identify your system.

Do you have a hand held meter? and or a test light?

Old 09-14-10, 11:44 AM
BFH you are correct in this is probably very needed information. It is a Craftsman Model 917.276010. It has a B&S 26hp motor and turns a 48" mower deck.

I do know that the B&S motor was an alternate as anytime I have had someone look this mower up it says their should be a Kohler motor in it, but it was bought new from sears years ago. Probably why I got a good deal on it lol

Old 09-14-10, 07:28 PM
The electrical section of your tractor shows a fuse in the wiring harness. Start with the easiest things to test. Is the fuse blown?

I hope it is that easy because the next likely point of failure is the charging system.

Old 09-15-10, 12:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The mower won't crank if the fuse is blown on this one. I'm not looking at a diagram, but this one should have a voltage regulator on the side of the engine. Remove the connector that comes from under the flywheel to the regulator. Set the voltmeter to AC volts and check voltage on each of the wires coming from under the flywheel with the engine running full speed. If you are getting somewhere around 30 volts on each wire, then plug up the regulator and set the meter to DC. Check the voltage on the red wire coming from the regulator with the engine running full speed. Report the reading.

Search this Thread