zama C1Q carburetor problems

Old 09-02-10, 06:05 PM
zama C1Q carburetor problems

I have a husqvarna weed trimmer with a C1Q zama carburetor. It was not running properly. So I bought a zama repair kit. After installing the kit, I cannot get the primer bulb to operate properly. I tried different configurations on the gasket/diaphram positions, but nothing seems to make a difference. It has a new fuel filter. The primer bulb will not pick up the fuel. It goes in and out with little resistance. Although in one configuration it won't expand after pushing it in, so I don't think that is correct. I only tried different positions after it failed to operate.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-10, 06:38 PM
Here's the ZAMA site with manuals

USA Zama : Service Tips

are the fuel lines connected properly?

Old 09-03-10, 01:23 PM
back to original problem

Ok, progress of sorts. I went to zama's site as posted by GlenM. I Took apart the carb, reassembled to make sure it was correct. Filter is new, replaced hoses. I can finally get the primer to work. But it still won't start properly. The only way to get it to start is on half choke with the accelerator completely depressed. It will speed up for about 3 seconds and then die. It will not start normally. It has a new spark plug, new fuel ( just purchased ). New fuel oil. I cleaned the exhaust port. Even tried running it without the spark arrestor on it. Any ideas.
Thanks for the reply, by the way. I appreciate it. This was the original problem that led me to by a kit in the first place.

Old 09-03-10, 01:41 PM
You didn't mention it, but did you completely disassemble it, including removal of L and H mixture needles? and give it a good cleaning?

My experience has been when installing a dry carb, it takes 10 or so purge bulb pushes to fill the carb and get the primer bulb full.
L and H needles should be turned out 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 turns.
Make sure fuel level completely covers the fuel filter.

Unless unit has ez or simple start, normal procedure is full choke on, throttle full on, pull til it pops, half-choke, pull til it starts, warm 5-10 seconds, choke full off.
then carb has to be tweaked to run right.
hth