Slack in Yard Machines 17.5hp/42" transaxle

Old 09-10-10, 12:28 PM
Slack in Yard Machines 17.5hp/42" transaxle

I have a Yard Machines model 13AF660G352. I have it disassembled for a 8 year overhaul. I am going to replace the belts and do a number of maintenance chores.

My question is in regards to the transaxle (Single Speed Transaxle - R.H. Model 618-0163B) which I have removed.

There is some slack in the gears. I can rotate the main drive pulley on the top of the unit 1/2 turn in either direction before there is any movement at the axles.

Is this a problem? I figure if I need to replace some parts in the transaxle, now is the time.

Thanks, T Bruce

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-10, 01:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1/2 turn might be a bit much, but if it wasn't making a gear whine prior to this, I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone. The only way you can tell for sure what the internal condition of the unit is would be to take it apart and see.

Old 09-11-10, 09:40 AM
Hello T Bruce Bowers,

This 1/2 turn of movement is about normal on these transaxles, The shift collar has three fingers (for lack of a better word) on each side. These fingers mesh into three slots on each bevel gear (one for forward one for reverse) depending on which gear is selected.

The slots in the bevel gears are wider than the fingers on the shift collar, This is to assure smooth and full engagement of each gear.

Since you already have the transaxle out it wouldn't be a bad idea to pop the top and add a little grease, Just don't turn anything with the top off or your shaft bushings could miss align and cause binding when the top is tightened back on.

Old 09-11-10, 11:11 AM
Thanks 31Ytech. That's the info I needed, and thanks for the tip to add grease. I just wanted make sure I took care of everything that was easy, while I had the bugger opened up.

T Bruce

Originally Posted by 31YTech View Post
Hello T Bruce Bowers,

This 1/2 turn of movement is about normal on these transaxles, The shift collar has three fingers (for lack of a better word) on each side. These fingers mesh into three slots on each bevel gear (one for forward one for reverse) depending on which gear is selected.

The slots in the bevel gears are wider than the fingers on the shift collar, This is to assure smooth and full engagement of each gear.

Since you already have the transaxle out it wouldn't be a bad idea to pop the top and add a little grease, Just don't turn anything with the top off or your shaft bushings could miss align and cause binding when the top is tightened back on.