Shifting problem

Old 09-16-10, 02:27 PM
Shifting problem

I have an MTD yard machine mower, 38" cut 13hp.

Model #13A4662F129 483-839

Serial #1D182B80186

The shifter will move into F and R but it doesn't feel like it engages, and of course, doesn't go in either direction. I haven't had the chance to spend any time with it so I haven't done anything yet.

I haven't used it since spring and no problems with it then, and it has been kept in the garage/under roof. Could this be something simple like a linkage or lube issue?

Appreciate any thoughts, guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-10, 03:14 PM
Is the v-belt from engine to transmission still there and tight?
Mike

Old 09-16-10, 04:33 PM
When I can get back to it, that's the first thing I'll check, thx. Anything else I can look for?

Old 09-17-10, 10:38 AM
OK.

Blocked up the back end, rear tires off. Central cover plate where shifter is located is off. The shifter is simply a bar bent to go back to the trans, where it is bolted to a small plate that is cotter pinned to a split barrel that slides into the trans.

There are three belts; the lower one only for the mower deck which engages when the deck is dropped. The other two meet at a dual pulley in the middle of the unit, which seems to act as a relay point to transfer drive from the engine to the trans. Both belts are there and snug.

I started it up and played with it a little, the shifter seems to sometimes engage the trans and the axles turn, and at other times it seems like it won't shift 'in'.

Did I miss anything?