JD LT155 seized?

Old 09-19-10, 04:50 PM
JD LT155 seized?

My John Deere Lt155 stalled out due to heavy grass. When I tried to re-start, I heard a click each time the key was turned but the starter/engine didn't turn.

I used a jump starter an got the same result. Next, removed the starter and took it apart to check its condition. All seemed okay so I replaced it.

When the key was turned, starter cog engages into position, making a single click noise, but didn't turn the motor. The piston/cog remained extended/engaged. When I turn the key - click. The blades can't be turned by hand.

What should I do next? Any thoughts on the cause?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-10, 05:42 PM
See if you have wrapped a lot of grass around the blades, locking them up.

Old 09-19-10, 09:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the blade belt, I'm guessing since it stalled under such a load, the belt is stuck to the engine pulley. Pull it out and it should crank.

Old 09-21-10, 11:18 AM
Good thoughts - I hadn't checked yet. Unfortunately, no grass binding the blades or belts.

Shouldn't I be able to turn the engine pulley by hand (with the spark plug wire removed, of course) if the blade lever is disengaged and the belt is loose around the pulley?

Old 09-22-10, 02:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes.

Does it move/wiggle at all? Was the engine full of oil? You said you can't move the blades at all... just making sure... the belt is loose on the ENGINE pulley, right?

Old 09-22-10, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Yes.

Does it move/wiggle at all? Was the engine full of oil? You said you can't move the blades at all... just making sure... the belt is loose on the ENGINE pulley, right?
No. It won't even wiggle when I try to twist it by hand, and the belt is loose around it. Just to be clear, I am referring to the pulley on the shaft coming straight down from the engine. The oil looks clean and the level is good.

Old 09-27-10, 02:55 PM
Pull the spark plug (s) out and see if it will turn over with them out. Your engine may have overloaded with fuel and hydro-locked. It's unlikely but worth a try.
Backachers

Old 10-07-10, 07:26 PM
No dice. Still can't turn the motor with the starter or manually.

Old 10-07-10, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Stilldoc View Post
No dice. Still can't turn the motor with the starter or manually.
the starter is not re-jammed from any battery attempt is it? and plugs are removed?

Old 10-08-10, 03:45 AM
I believe I would drain the oil and check for metal filings. They would likely be aluminum so a magnet wouldn't pick them up. You may have a rod seized on the the crank.