Tecumseh H35 - Gasoline leaking from carburetor

Old 09-20-10, 03:18 PM
Tecumseh H35 - Gasoline leaking from carburetor

Hey all,

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a Tecumseh H35 engine, mounted on an Ariens snow blower. This particular snow blower wasn't run for approx. 2 years. Started it yesterday after I removed the electric start because it was ceased up and upon shutting it off noticed gas leaking from the carburetor.

I am not exactly sure where to start on diagnosing the problem. Gasoline is coming out of the intake on the carb, above the bowl. Makes no difference if the damper is open or closed.

Help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-10, 06:25 PM
If it has set for 2 years with gas in it the gas has turned to varnish and everything in the carb is stuck or clogged, it will be necessary to remove the carb, disassemble and soak all metal parts in a bath type cleaner per directions on the can, then clean the bowl nut which may have from 0 to 4 holes on some they are almost invisible, I use the wire from a twist tie, spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. Please draw a diagram or take a picture of the linkage before you remove the carb you will need it for reference later. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-20-10, 06:57 PM
The was no gas in it while it was sitting. I put gas in to see if I could get it to start after I removed the electric start and got the pull cord fixed. Gas was fresh in the tank 1 minute before firing it up. I still like the idea of attempting a good clean before I jump to new carburetor. I will give that a shot and let you know what I get from there. Thanks.

Also, not sure if this is relevant but it seems to me that it is. When the snowblower is running it doesn't seem to leak at all but very black smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Last edited by amsteube; 09-20-10 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The black smoke is unburned fuel, which means the carb is still leaking, it is just being sucked up into the engine while it's running.