Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere LT 166 Won't Move; please Help

NY

09-23-10, 10:52 AM   #1  
John Deere LT 166 Won't Move; please Help

I was cutting my lawn and after I stopped to go in the opposite direction my lawn tractor wouldn't move (reverse or forward). Any one have any ideas?

Thanks
--HJR

Sponsored Links

Non-US

09-23-10, 07:35 PM   #2  
Posted By: H.Richburg I was cutting my lawn and after I stopped to go in the opposite direction my lawn tractor wouldn't move (reverse or forward). Any one have any ideas?

Thanks
--HJR
The first thing that comes to mind is the drive belt broke or flipped off a pulley,, Check the belts & let us know what you see,,, Roger

NY

09-24-10, 03:18 PM   #3  
Behind the rear of the deck I can see a belt hanging. It doesn't appear to be broken. I can't see where it goes. My LT 166 has a 42" Freedom Deck.

Thanks for the response

MI

09-28-10, 03:51 AM   #4  
If the drive belt is still on the pulleys check to see if you didn't somehow disengage the hydro transmission. There will be a lever with instructions to disengage if you need to push the tractor. You posted that you could see a belt "hanging" so it sounds like it came off the pulley.

NY

09-28-10, 05:57 AM   #5  
Yes it appears to have come off the pully. The belts are the original (11 years?) so I'm guessing this is probably an indication that should be replaced. Is this difficult or something I should take to the dealer?

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

MI

09-28-10, 04:27 PM   #6  
It's not difficult if you have tools and a little time. You may need to take the deck off to get at everything unless you have small hands.At the very least you will have to take the deck drive belt off the front pulley because it is below the traction drive belt. Note how the belt is routed before you take the old one off. i usually draw out the routing on a piece of paper so I get the new one back on right. You will also need to know the proper replacement belt. Should be able to get that from your local Deere dealer or small engine repair shop.It's not that hard if you take your time.

Search this Thread