Zama carburetor rebuild question

Old 09-28-10, 05:24 PM
Zama carburetor rebuild question

I ordered a rebuild kit for an older Zama carburetor. The kit includes a new welch plug but I have read that there are specialty tools for installing the new welch plug. Can I install a new welch plug without these tools or will I likely just foul up the kit? The tools are apparently shaped to press in the plugs.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-10, 06:52 PM
I've cleaned/rekitted dozens of ZAMA carbs, have yet had a need to replace the welch plug.
Remove the L needle and spray wd-40 into the L port, the spray will come out the idle progression holes, you won't need to replace welch plug.

be gentle when cleaning carb, with both spray and air, I've damaged idle check valves, and it can't be replaced.
hth

Old 09-29-10, 08:07 AM
Like GlenM I have cleaned a lot of these carbs and have never had to replace the welch plugs, also I have destroyed them about every way possible until I found the only thing necessary is brake parts cleaner with the straw, it has enough cleaning power and enough pressure to do a good job and not destroy the carb, as always I suggest using the old metering arm unless it is very worn as it has the proper height setting. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-29-10, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go.

Steve