John Deere RCS400 String Trimmer - Starts, Runs & dies (will restart if choked)

Old 09-30-10, 05:46 PM
Question John Deere RCS400 String Trimmer - Starts, Runs & dies (will restart if choked)

I have a John Deere RCS400 string trimmer that I just bought used. It'll run fine for about 2 minutes... then dies. If I turn on the choke, it'll start right up and go again for a little bit.

I looked online and found one suggestion that bad fuel lines can cause leaks that will give this sympton. I replaced the fuel line. Same problem but the fuel line is now clear and I can see what's happening with the fuel. When choked or at idle after bumping the choke off, fuel flows freely from tank to carb. When throttled up, fuel stops, no longer flowing from tank to carb. Then after a short period (when the bowl empties I assume) it dies.

Any suggestions as to what will cause fuel flow to stop during power up?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-10, 06:03 PM
Sounds like the fuel cap is not venting, most have a small valve that lets air in to compensate for the fuel leaving the tank, when it fails, no fuel, try running it with the cap loose. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-30-10, 06:25 PM
Thumbs up Looks like that did it!

I took the cap off and started it... like usual... it bogs bad when throttling while cold... but after it warmed up, it ran wide open for 3 minutes straight and the fuel line stayed full.

I read... while looking around for an answer that clogged exhaust system can cause bogging... so I'm going to check that too.

Anyone know if those 'vents' in the cap can be 'cleared' or does the cap need to be replaced?

Thanks again!
Ben