Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S Twin cylinder idles WAY too high.

MS

10-03-10, 03:06 PM   #1  
B&S Twin cylinder idles WAY too high.

I have a B&S 42B707-1265-01 twin cylinder engine on a Murray rider. The engine will start and run good and the throttle works also. The problems is after a few minutes it will start to idle up like the gov is kicking in and just keep going up until I shut it off. Then it will start normal again then after 30 seconds or so idle up again. Am I looking at a carb adjustment or gov adjustment? Or am I just way off base?

Sponsored Links

FL

10-03-10, 06:47 PM   #2  
Hello bwestbrook,

I really don't believe your issue is a carb adjustment, You may want to go ahead a take a couple minutes and check the governor adjustment;

1. Rotate throttle plate linkage from idle position to full throttle position. Note direction of rotation of the governor arm attached to the throttle linkage.

2. Loosen screw holding governor arm to governor crank.

3. Place and hold the linkage in high speed position.

4. While holding the linkage in this position, Use a appropriate tool to rotate the governor shaft until it stops in the direction noted in step 1.

5. tighten screw holding governor lever to governor crank. Torque to 35-45 in. lbs. (2.8-5.0 NM).

6. Before starting engine, Manually actuate governor linkage to check for binding.

Good Luck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-03-10, 09:15 PM   #3  
Kinda sounds like the throttle shaft is getting stuck maybe? Strange problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread