B&S Twin cylinder idles WAY too high.

Old 10-03-10, 03:06 PM
B&S Twin cylinder idles WAY too high.

I have a B&S 42B707-1265-01 twin cylinder engine on a Murray rider. The engine will start and run good and the throttle works also. The problems is after a few minutes it will start to idle up like the gov is kicking in and just keep going up until I shut it off. Then it will start normal again then after 30 seconds or so idle up again. Am I looking at a carb adjustment or gov adjustment? Or am I just way off base?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-10, 06:47 PM
Hello bwestbrook,

I really don't believe your issue is a carb adjustment, You may want to go ahead a take a couple minutes and check the governor adjustment;

1. Rotate throttle plate linkage from idle position to full throttle position. Note direction of rotation of the governor arm attached to the throttle linkage.

2. Loosen screw holding governor arm to governor crank.

3. Place and hold the linkage in high speed position.

4. While holding the linkage in this position, Use a appropriate tool to rotate the governor shaft until it stops in the direction noted in step 1.

5. tighten screw holding governor lever to governor crank. Torque to 35-45 in. lbs. (2.8-5.0 NM).

6. Before starting engine, Manually actuate governor linkage to check for binding.

Good Luck

Old 10-03-10, 09:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Kinda sounds like the throttle shaft is getting stuck maybe? Strange problem.