Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman chain saw

NY

10-14-10, 12:05 PM   #1  
Craftsman chain saw

I have a Craftsman chain saw that will not start. It has about 60 pounds of compression. I'm thinking the piston and ring are worn out. I went to Sears parts and it stated the parts are not available. Is there someplace to buy replacement parts? The model is 358.350830. Is there other models that use the same piston and ring?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-14-10, 05:33 PM   #2  
Hello dsawyer,

Chances are you also need a jug, seals, and maybe needle bearings. Do all that and you will probably have to go into the carb and clean it and possibly replace fuel lines as well. By then you will probably have more than the cost of a new one in parts (I think these sold for ~$90), a lot of labor involved, and still have a used low-end piece of equipment. It's not worth it. Cheap saws and other 2-strokes are throwaway stuff nowadays. It's aggravating, I know.

If you do decide to do this and need help, we'll be glad to offer advice. I know this saw is made by poulan and it uses the same parts as some of the smaller poulan saws. I don't know exactly which model poulan this crosses to though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread