Craftsman LT2000 22/42" Bad cut

Old 05-24-09, 11:12 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman LT2000 22/42" Bad cut

This mower has cut poorly since I bought it off the showroom floor. I assumed I just wasn't getting the adjustments right but I've done it too many times now. Also I've had it looked at by repair shops that just said they couldn't fix it either. Here's what I see. With the deck off and turned over. New blades istalled, and the blades rotated to meet in the middle the two blade heights are different. This corresponds to the line I see in the middle of the cut I make. The deck appears to be flat when laid on the garage floor. Can the spindles be adjusted using washers to get the blades closer to level?
Thanks for any advise. I've been fighting this for about four/five years.

Old 05-24-09, 04:25 PM
Please post the model number. All the blades should be at the same height.

Old 05-24-09, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like a warped deck. Lay a straight edge across the blades to see if one tilts.

Old 05-25-09, 07:42 AM
C
The model number is 917.272860. Yes cheese, one blade is lower in the center and higher on the outer edge. Again the blades are new. I've suspected a warped deck for a long time. I've given up on trying to fix it. I have a friend who had the same model and like me could never get a good cut. I've ordered a complete new deck off ebay for $389.95 with free shipping. Sounded like a deal to me. Have you heard of problems with this model? Thanks for your responses.

Old 05-25-09, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problems really. In fact, I usually see some pretty nice cuts with those mowers...they are good mowers for the money. Check the mandrel for cracks. I have seen a few that had cracked mandrels, allowing the mandrel to "lean", which tilts the blade a bit.

I've straightened some warped decks using a straight edge and a large hammer, beating the deck down where it's too high, until both blades are within 1/8" or so of each other. This usually works well.

Old 10-19-10, 01:01 PM
D
I have the same mower and seem to have the same problems. I have adjusted the deck multiple times but can never seem to get an even cut with it. I had given up on it but I think that I am going to check the mandrills now that you mention that. Thank you.

Old 10-19-10, 06:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope that's the problem. Keep us posted!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: