Craftsman ride mower dead

Old 05-13-13, 07:36 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman ride mower dead

Hello,

This is my first post here on these forums and I am looking for some advice.

I have a Craftsman riding mower Model #917.287210 with a B&S motor Model # 331877.

The problem is it does not start. I may have burned out the stater located behind the ignition switch by letting my brother jump it with a screwdriver. Only way we could get it started, I know, bad idea. So i replaced the solenoid and now I get nothing. I will turn the ignition switch but I get nothing. No clicking noise or anything. Before we replace the solenoid you could at least hear the stater hum.

I am not the most handiest person in the world. I went to the Sears website to enter my information and I found a diagram of parts for my mower, but I don't know where or what part to buy.

Can someone guide me on the right path?

Thanks for any help at all.

Old 05-13-13, 08:09 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Assuming that you believe the battery to be in good enough shape to at least turn it over, which it sounds like it is since you got it to start by bypassing the ignition circuit, and that it does absolutely nothing when you turn the key, I would start by checking the safey interlocks, such as a seat switch, blade engagement switch, clutch switch, etc. You should be able to use the wiring diagram to identify which ones you have, and which of those are relevant. If that doesn't pan out, I would probably pull the ignition swich, and check it with an ohm meter or test light for continuity between the appropriate terminals. Again, the configuration of the terminals should be shown on the wiring diagram.

Old 05-13-13, 08:21 AM
I
Forgot to mention that I got 7 volts from the battery. I have a little experience with wiring diagrams. So when I got a diagram from Sears that showed a different solenoid location I was confused. What do I do next.

Old 05-13-13, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad or dead battery for starters. Charge or replace it (if it's over 2 years old, it's probably bad). Next, if you still have problems, check for power at the fuse (in a fuseholder near the solenoid on the small red wire coming off the solenoid post).

Old 05-13-13, 11:44 AM
M
Get a new Battery like Cheese says,,but check fuse first , but it doesn't sound like it is blown if you can get the starter to hum,,also check the battery connections for corrsion. Good Luck

Old 05-13-13, 03:23 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The starter humms because it doesn't know the words....couldn't help myself. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-13-13, 08:18 PM
M
Good one________________________

Old 05-13-13, 08:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yeah, he said it hummed before changing the solenoid (still an indication of a bad battery) and now it won't even hum. That's why I say check the fuse.

Old 05-14-13, 06:31 AM
M
Yep, I agree.

Old 05-15-13, 07:11 PM
I
Finally got around to working on the mower today. Thanks for the brain kickstart. All Switches check out good. After tripple checking everything I noticed the battery wired backwards. Fixed it but still nothing. Now reads 0.01V DC. Currently charging. Just for shiggles I tried to start it while charging. One of two things is currently happening. One, A sound of gears grinding that seems to be coming from the starter. Hoping this is due to the starter not fully engaging since the battery is not completely charged. Two, the oh so familiar humming. Still doesn't know the words. Will hopefully get to it again tomorrow after it is fully charged. Thanks to everyone. Would not have made it this for without all the help.

Old 05-15-13, 08:39 PM
M
Give the battery a good ole over the night charge then try it,,,if it won't charge up invest into a new battery. Still doesn't know the words?? Maybe the next American Idol!

Old 05-16-13, 06:23 PM
I
Update...
Battery is good, starter is good. Mower wont start, possibly from stale fuel. Cleaned the spark plug. Checked to ignition coil with spark tester. All usual suspects seem good. Currently charging battery again since I drained it trying to start the mower. While I was cleaning the spark plug my brother turned the key to check the stater twice totaling about 7 seconds which resulted in some nasty gunk and fuel being expelled from the spark plug socket. This is and the almost turn over from starter fluid in the carburetor makes me think stale fuel is the culprit.

What should I do next tomorrow? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 05-16-13, 07:56 PM
M
Trickle some good gas into the carburetor and see if it will fire up,,,if so see if gas is getting to carb, if so take carb off and clean and rebuild!

Old 05-18-13, 07:39 PM
I
Cleaned carburetor as good as possible being that the two philips screws are seized. Will be replaced eventually. Plenty of nasty yellow stale gas came out. Then noticed plenty of compression but no combustion. Couldn't even get an arc from the spark plug. Closer examination showed a small dent/crack near the tip. After replacing the spark plug the mower finally fired up. Filled the gas tank and added some good ole SeaFoam. Seems like maybe high gear has issues as the engine hunts really bad. Besides that all is good. Going to do a tune up after a test cut.

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-10-14, 05:03 AM
J
Craftsman YS 917.287210

I know this thread is over a year old but I thought I would reach out anyway. I need a replacement transaxle for my YS and I was wondering if you would be interested in selling yours. It is a 6 speed and the transaxle model # is "Spicer 402723".
Let me know if you are interested.
Jim

Old 07-10-14, 06:57 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I think if you read the whole thread, you'll discover that his mower was resurrected from the dead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: