John Deere X300 barely moves

Old 10-21-10, 01:38 PM
John Deere X300 barely moves

This is my neighbors JD X300 unit. It has a hydrostatic transmission and it will barely move in either direction. I looked at it and found the flat idler pulley was almost disintegrated. I replaced the flat idler pulley. The belt looked ok and after I replaced the idler it seemed tight enough and with the engine running it is turning the trans pulley and fan. However it still wont move. The manual says this is a sealed unit and there is no oil on the case. After some investigation, I learned this is a Tuff Torq K46 trans. The parking brake is not on and the free wheeling lever is off. Would appreciate some direction is trying to fix this -- thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-10, 04:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
With the idler pulley shredded, I'd say the belt is probably glazed and slipping (lots of heat and resistance with that pulley locked up). I'd put a belt on it before going further.

Old 10-22-10, 01:13 PM
cheese thanks -- my neighbor called the dealer who said it was probably out of fluid ??? This is a sealed unit and there was no oil on the outside of the case but who knows. We dropped it off at lunchtime. I told them about the idler pulley and that the belt might be glazed etc. Research has led me to believe that this problem happens to a lot of folks with this model JD and lower. I am really curious to see what the outcome is.

Old 10-22-10, 07:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt it's out of fluid. If you said it made a loud groaning noise and moved slowly, I would say it was low on fluid, but the X300 hasn't been out long enough to be seeing many with tranny problems/leaks, and I just don't think that's gonna be the problem. You never know though, things happen and it could be. Since the idler was melted apart, the belt got very hot (obviously). I'll put my dollar on the belt, but now that the dealer has it, well.... lets just say the JD dealer near me is hit and miss when it comes to good service. Hopefully yours is better than mine, lol.

Last edited by cheese; 10-22-10 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 12:24 PM
WOW - am I embarassed. I cant believe I missed this. The passenger side wheel hub bushing, where the axle goes through the wheel -- the weld broke. The axle and bushing were turning however the rest of the wheel was not. I have never seen one break there. The dealer put a new wheel on $80 and charged $40 labor.

Old 10-25-10, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Odd, I haven't seen that yet. I'll try to keep that in mind. Thanks for the update!