Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Storage of my 6 y/o brand new chainsaw

Super Moderator

AZ

10-24-10, 08:18 AM   #1  
Storage of my 6 y/o brand new chainsaw

Well, finally got the chainsaw out (had a post a while back, about prestarting preps after sitting brand new for 6-7 years), fired on the 3rd pull...ran like a champ.

Did the trimming, cut down the tree that was dead...no problems. Ran like brand new (which of course it is...just 7 years old...lol). Probably 45 min max total runtime.

Now its time to put it away again...might be another 2-3 yrs before I need it again, unless neighbor wants to clean up around his lake house or hunt camp.

What should I do to try and make sure it will run when I need it next?
Put in some StaBil...run til it fills carb, drain gas, run dry, then drain the oil? Clean the plug? Rinse out the cylinder?

Poulan Wild Thing 18". I know it's pretty much a cheapo...but I payed very little...and will need it very little. It gets stored in the garage in its case, no extreme heat or cold really. Realize I may have to change fuel lines next time..but that's pretty minor.

Thx

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Sponsored Links

NY

10-24-10, 10:20 AM   #2  
Drain the gas tank, then start the saw to get the remaining fuel out of the carb and fuel lines. When it cools clean it off, the more the better, mabey dump out the chain oil tank also, dont forget to refill it for the next use.
Sid

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-24-10, 10:48 PM   #3  
If you really want to do it up, dump the gas, crank it and run it until the gas is gone, then put some mineral spirits in the tank and prime it through the carb. This won't go bad, gum up, and it will keep the diaphragms in the carb from drying out. Next time you get ready to use it, all you'll have to do is drain the mineral spirits from the tank, put gas in, and prime it to flush the mineral spirits out of the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Super Moderator

AZ

10-25-10, 06:48 AM   #4  
Thanks cheese...I have a gal of MS...so thats no problem.

Vic

Super Moderator

AZ

11-04-10, 09:30 AM   #5  
Ack...thought I had mineral spirits...but all I have is paint thinner. Could I use that for the flushing or should I get the spirits? I know thinner is made from spirits...but I'd hate to dissolve anything.

Vic

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-04-10, 10:51 AM   #6  
The thinner is probably mineral spirits, but I don't know for sure. You don't want to use anything really strong like acetone or lacquer thinner for sure.

God bless!

Super Moderator

AZ

11-12-10, 09:11 AM   #7  
Bringing this back up. Finally got some spirits (man...it's gotten expensive!)..that's done. Ready to store...almost.

2 more questions....slack off the chain or keep tensioned? And what about the cylinder..quick shot of something? Air tool oil? 3n1 type? Then a couple of pull throughs w/o a plug?

I know I'm gonna do all this and then need it next spring...lol.

Oh...1 more...oil out or in? Or no difference?

Vic

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-12-10, 10:33 AM   #8  
You can leave the chain tensioned. You can leave the bar oil in, but it may leak a little over time and make a mess. I never put anything int he cylinder and don't think it's necessary.

God bless!

Super Moderator

AZ

11-12-10, 11:31 AM   #9  
Thx cheese....you da man...
Now I can get it up off my workbench and back in the cabinet.

Vic

Search this Thread