Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Correct Mower Blades

AL

10-25-10, 03:39 PM   #1  
Correct Mower Blades

I recently bought a Gravely 16G 50" cut with three basket bagger. I have not tried the bagging system out, and I have never owned one. It has new blades now but they look like regular blades, not "high lift".
Will "gator" type mulching blades do better on this machine or do I need to get "high lift" or just use what I have

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-25-10, 08:26 PM   #2  
Generally when bagging, gator blades don't work as well, and high lift blades work very well or even too well, sometimes even stripping loose soil/dust off the ground and into the bag as well. High lift blades also wear the deck out faster, gators are easiest on the deck. I say if you are bagging, and the regular blades work to your satisfaction, then use them. If you are not bagging, use the gators once you've worn out those current blades. If you'll be switching from bagging to not bagging often, either try the gators while bagging and see if you like them, or just use regular blades, unless you want to be changing blades back and forth.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

10-25-10, 08:47 PM   #3  
THANKS---that makes sense.
Amazing, I published this question in FIVE different forums--Tractor and Lawnmower--You are the first to give advise. My wife says I am addicted to "doityourself" and I guess she's right

Search this Thread