Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generac G23 Pressure Washer Starting Issues.

WA

10-27-10, 04:10 PM   #1  
Generac G23 Pressure Washer Starting Issues.

I have a pressure washer with a Briggs and Straton engine that has been finicky to start.
I have removed the carb twice and cleaned with carb cleaner and wire in passages. If I dump gas in the spark plug hole I can get it running.
The gasket on the bowl looked to be a bit large possibly due to the cleaning.
I am trying to undrstand why if there is fuel in the carb and the choke is closed- the thing still wont pull fuel into the cyl on its own. I have checked the plug after pulling a dozen times only to find a dry plug. Why does it run ok just wont start on its own?
Please help.
Thank you.
Louie..

Sponsored Links

MO

10-27-10, 04:29 PM   #2  
Posted By: Louie56 I have a pressure washer with a Briggs and Straton engine that has been finicky to start.
I have removed the carb twice and cleaned with carb cleaner and wire in passages. If I dump gas in the spark plug hole I can get it running.
The gasket on the bowl looked to be a bit large possibly due to the cleaning.
I am trying to undrstand why if there is fuel in the carb and the choke is closed- the thing still wont pull fuel into the cyl on its own. I have checked the plug after pulling a dozen times only to find a dry plug. Why does it run ok just wont start on its own?
Please help.
Thank you.
Louie..
It would help if you posted the model, type and code usually found stamped in the metal shroud just above the sparkplug. On some the bowl nut is the main jet and has holes at the very bottom and are missed when cleaning, also the priming circuit on some is only forcing air into the bowl so if the bowl gasket leaks there is no pressure created to force fuel up the nozzle. Have a good one. Geo

WA

10-27-10, 04:38 PM   #3  
I guess there are two models. G23 and model#01674, type 4600cp, 2.0 GPM and 2300 psi.
There is no primer bulb, but your response leads me to the bowl gasket. Any other reason gas would not pull into the cyl with the choke on?

MO

10-28-10, 09:06 AM   #4  
Posted By: Louie56 I guess there are two models. G23 and model#01674, type 4600cp, 2.0 GPM and 2300 psi.
There is no primer bulb, but your response leads me to the bowl gasket. Any other reason gas would not pull into the cyl with the choke on?
Need the model numbers for the engine so we can lookup the engine IPL, not the machine itself. Have a good one. Geo

WA

10-28-10, 02:54 PM   #5  
The only other numbers I can find are--
12H802-1714-D1-010 92559 and a tag that states family- 1BSXS.1901VF

Hope one of those is what I need.

Thank you..

MO

10-28-10, 05:52 PM   #6  
The "O" ring behind the carb on the intake tube is probably gone or leaking which is letting the engine get it air from somewhere other than the carb. While it is running try spraying some carb cleaner behind the carb on the mating furface between the carb and block and you will find the engine tempo changes. Replace the O ring, replace the bowl gasket, make sure the bowl nut is clean and it will probably run like it was new. Have a good one. Geo

PS: If you have a Harbor Freight close you can get a box of about 200 assorted "O" rings for about $5, you will be set for life.lol

WA

10-28-10, 07:38 PM   #7  
I had my hopes up. Pulled the air cleaner from the carb and there are no O-rings on this unit. Only a rubber hose connecting to a tapered inlet on the air cleaner box. Even if there was air could still pull from the air cleaner inlet rather than the carb. Correct? Im lost.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-28-10, 08:14 PM   #8  
You didn't take the carb off? That's where the o-ring is. (between the carb and intake tube). The intake tube itself may be cracked, or the bracket that the carb bolts to could be loose and moving.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WA

10-30-10, 11:23 AM   #9  
Ok- I pulled the carb, replaced the oring. It made no difference. Still have to dump gas in the cyl to get this monster running. Sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb whle it was running- no change in tone. Any other thoughts?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-30-10, 01:20 PM   #10  
Posted By: Louie56 Ok- I pulled the carb, replaced the oring. It made no difference. Still have to dump gas in the cyl to get this monster running. Sprayed carb cleaner all around the carb whle it was running- no change in tone. Any other thoughts?
Have you checked to make sure when the auto choke is supposed to be closed, that it does "actually" close? When the choke should be closed, look into the carb throat and see if it does all the way, if you can push it closed further, then something is not right.
I don't know that I have seen this autochoke system, the primer systems on these engines have issues with the air filter housing sealing to the carb and such, no doubt their auto chokes are prone to some issue as well.

Non-US

10-30-10, 08:00 PM   #11  
& as Cheese pointed out, Pull the fan shroud & make sure the intake isn't cracked or loose... These engines were kinda known for intake issues... Roger

WA

10-31-10, 12:23 PM   #12  
What in the world can be left???
I've pulled the shroud and inspected the intake tube- looks good.
I've probed each port in the carb and shot carb cleaner through them.
I've replaced the Intake tube O-ring along with the fuel line.
I've placed my thumb over the intake tube and rotated the flywheel and feel vacuum.
Not shure what can possible be left- what should the compression be after how many starter rope cycles?

CAL

10-31-10, 12:50 PM   #13  
Are you getting gas into the carb? If you are holding you hand over the carb, or using the choke for a period of time, you should be able to see gas forming in the carb (flooding). If not you may have a stuck float valve, not letting fuel into the bowl.

WA

10-31-10, 01:01 PM   #14  
Yes- every time (about 5 or 6 now) that I pull the carb there is gas in the bowl. The unit runs fine if I squirt gas in the cyl. Just wont get any/enough gas to start the first time.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-10, 06:03 PM   #15  
Did you verify that the choke is completely closing as BFHFixit asked?

God bless!

WA

10-31-10, 07:42 PM   #16  
Yes- choke is closed. It is not an auto choke.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-10, 08:15 PM   #17  
Oh, ok. Can you cover the hole with your thumb and choke it to get it started? If the carb is sufficiently cleaned and all these other things you've checked are in order, it should be starting, unless maybe you can't get enough of a good pull on it to get it moving enough air for the choke to be effective (maybe due to a pump problem).

God bless!

Non-US

10-31-10, 08:31 PM   #18  
Do you have a really strong spark?? I ran into a lawnmower today that was hard to start unless I shot Brake Clean in the carb,, I found the air gap on the coil kinda wide & after adjusting it,, It's now a 1 or 2 pull to start it... Doesen't cost anything to check it... Roger

WA

10-31-10, 08:32 PM   #19  
I didnt try that yet. I did stick some duct tape over the carb intake and pulled the starter rope and could see the tape pulsing back and forth- when I removed the tape there was fuel at the opening. This was a bench test without the plug wire hooked up. Think I should try hooking it to water, tape the intake again and see if it will start?

WA

10-31-10, 08:35 PM   #20  
Roger- how do I go about checking the spark and adjusting the air gap on a coil?

Non-US

11-01-10, 02:34 PM   #21  
Pull the fan shroud again (sorry) & follow the plug wire to the coil.. Rotate the flywheel till the magnets line up with the "legs" of the coil.. The space between the flywheel & coil should be .010".. You can put a buisness card in there & loosten the bolts of the coil & let the magnets pull the 2 together. Tighten the bolts, remove the card & rotate the engine to make sure it doesn't rub.

Ground a known good plug to some clean engine tin & pull the engine over with the wire hooked up. You should see a nice blue spark ( & even hear a "Snap") if alls O.K. The plug gap should be .030"... Roger

WA

11-01-10, 03:08 PM   #22  
I did the buisiness card thing and didint see any change- I still get spark- its not snapping loud, but it is blue visible. It sure doesnt snap like that of one on a motorcycle. I wouldnt call it strong! Is there anyway to measure the spark strength to see if perhaps my coil is not putting out as it should?
Its no problem pulling this thing apart- Ive done it so many times lately, could do it in my sleep.
Is there by any chance something in the carb that I have overlooked?
The jet that serves as the bowl bolt is good and clear- the float is functioning as every time I pull it I have gas all over the place.
The jet that goes straight up into the carb throat is clear. There is another port next to that one that Ive shot carb cleaner through.
The only thing left that I noticed is a metal plug in the carb that I did not remove. Not sure what is under that???

WA

11-02-10, 06:34 PM   #23  
Not sure why but it is running!!!
Pulled and cleaned the carb for the fith time. Pulled the fan shroud, found the magnets on the flywheel had some rust- not alot but sanded that off.
Reassmbled everything and she started after a few pulls.
Thanks to all for the info- could have been a weak spark, fuel issues who knows but at least it runs.
Thanks so much.
Louie..

Search this Thread