Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starting a "small Engine"?

NH

10-28-10, 04:08 PM   #1  
Starting a "small Engine"?

I have this old engine that in my opinion i should be able to start if i get it going fast enough, but thats the problem, i have no way to get that initial rotation needed to start the engine. the engine originally had an electric start but the motor is fried and i don't want to spend $100+ on a replacement. Another problem is that it is a 15 hp engine that is difficult to turn past the point were the spark goes off with any speed at all. Any suggestions (even ones that are out there)?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-28-10, 08:22 PM   #2  
Buy a used starter on ebay for $20.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

10-29-10, 12:01 PM   #3  
I am assuming that you have verified that fuel is getting to the combustion cylinder? You have compression? And you have spark delivered at the correct time?, then it should start with a little effort. Without all of those 3 things (plus air) it won't start no matter how fast you can spin it over. Is there a recoil starter available for your motor?

IA

10-29-10, 04:09 PM   #4  
I believe from previous posts that engine is a Briggs engine, isn't it? That likely has a compression release on the exhaust valve that may help. Try setting the valve tappet clearances. That may get you the spin you need just with the pull rope.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-29-10, 10:34 PM   #5  
I understood this as the OP has no recoil starter. If there is a recoil starter on the unit and you still can't start it, try the valve adjustment.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IA

10-30-10, 04:16 AM   #6  
I may have missed a couple beats somewhere, but I thought this was a rebuild of an old garden tractor with the starter gone and he had come up with a recoil starter to retro fit it.

Last edited by marbobj; 10-30-10 at 04:33 AM.

Search this Thread