Another Synthetic Question

Old 10-29-10, 02:51 PM
Another Synthetic Question

Toro 8hp Tecumseh

I've read here where synthetic oil is best for snowblowers. My manual says use 5-30 oil but it doesn't mention anything about synthetic.

Friend gave me a quart of Mobile 1 15-50. Should I use this or look for 5-30 synthetic?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-10, 04:37 PM
If the book says use 5w30 then use 5w30. 15w50 would be way too thick for use in that engine. If you really feel the need to use synthetic oil then use synthetic 5w30 engine oil

Old 10-29-10, 05:23 PM
A synthetic oil has no lubricating advantage over a conventional oil. Where a synthetic oil begins to shine is in its ability to retain its lubrication properties at extreme temperatures - both very low temperatures and extremely hot temperatures. Since you stated that this was intended for a snow blower and based on your location, I would use a synthetic oil. But, use the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer.

A synthetic oil will flow much better in very low temperatures and insure that the internal components are lubricated at initial start up. It will also allow easier starting.

Do not skip, or extend, oil change intervals because you use a synthetic. Stick to the recommended interval.

Steve

Old 10-29-10, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by 2ndgencamaro View Post
A synthetic oil has no lubricating advantage over a conventional oil. Where a synthetic oil begins to shine is in its ability to retain its lubrication properties at extreme temperatures - both very low temperatures and extremely hot temperatures. Since you stated that this was intended for a snow blower and based on your location, I would use a synthetic oil. But, use the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer.

A synthetic oil will flow much better in very low temperatures and insure that the internal components are lubricated at initial start up. It will also allow easier starting.

Do not skip, or extend, oil change intervals because you use a synthetic. Stick to the recommended interval.

Steve
Not sure I agree 100% . Multi weight conventional oil contains poylmers which are not contributing to lubrication and in fact I read they do pose a negative as there was so much polymer in 10w40 that it did not meet warranty specs for new cars.

Old 10-30-10, 06:39 AM
No wonder he gave it to me, he has a Toro also.

Thanks

Old 10-30-10, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most OPE manufactures charts for oils I have seen recommend 10w30 when using synthetic. It covers the same temperature range as 30W, 5w-30 and 10w-40 at least on their charts. These are lawnmower or other Power equipment used in warmer conditions as well. I aint even seen a snowblower round these parts (Cept them big ones with lots of big wheels on the way to ski areas ) but I think you would be fine with a 5-30 synthetic.