Craftsman chainsaw won't stay running

Old 10-30-10, 03:10 PM
Craftsman chainsaw won't stay running

Hi,

I have a Craftsman 16" chainsaw that won't stay running. I installed a new Walbro WT324 Carb on it this past spring in an attempt to get it to run. I also replaced the fuel line with new line and installed a new plug.

The saw, once primed, will start and then shut off really fast, like within a second. I have tried to adjust the carb to see if that will help. So far, not helping.

What is the correct adjustment for this carb? My saw has the L and H adjustment screws?

I have also hooked up the fuel line according to this diagram.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ga..._CHAINSAWS.pdf

I have also discovered that these saws are also made by Poulan, which also makes Craftsman and Snapper saws.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-10, 05:21 PM
Set the mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated, then fine tune from there.

If you have a choke, make sure it's closing fully and you have free flowing fuel from the tank at the carb line connection.

Old 10-31-10, 07:00 PM
Hi,

So far, I have been successful at getting the saw to run good at idle speed. When I pull the trigger to run at high speed, it sounds like it is going to choke out. I still have to make some minor adjustments to the mixture screws.

In the mean time, I also found the owners manual for the saw. It has some instructions and warnings about how to adjust those screws. I am not sure if these instructions were made to protect Craftsman. I am pretty sure they were. The instructions kind of make sense. Please let me know if I can follow these instructions to adjust air/fuel mixture as well.

Very small adjustments can affect engine performance. It is important to turn the screw a very small amount per adjustment and test performance before making further adjustments. Each adjustment should be no more than the width of the slot in the adjusting screw.

Turn both of the mixture screws counterclockwise until they stop. Do not attempt to adjust the screw beyond the stops as damage can occur.
Turn idle speed screw clockwise 1/2 turn.
If engine fails to start after performing carburetor presets, the unit may be flooded. Review the "Difficult Starting" section of the manual. If problems continue
call the t-800 number listed on the front cover of this manual for further assistance.
Start the engine and operate for three (3) minutes to warm up. Go to "Adjusting Procedure."

ADJUSTING PROCEDURE

IDLE SPEED ADJUSTMENT
Allow the warm engine to idle.
Adjust the Idle Speed Screw untilthe engine continues to run without stalling and without the chain moving.
- Turn screw clockwise to increase engine speed if engine stalls or dies.
- Turn screw counterclockwise to slow engine down and/or to keep the chain from turning.
No further adjustments are necessary if chain does not move at idle speed and if performance is satisfactory.

LOW SPEED MIXTURE ADJUSTMENT
Allow engine to idle.
Turn the Low Speed Mixture Screw slowly clockwise until the RPM starts to drop. Note the position.
Turn the Low Speed Mixture Screw slowly counterclockwise until the RPM speeds up and starts to drop again. Note the position.
Set the Low Speed Mixture Screw at the midpoint between the two positions.

HIGH SPEED MIXTURE ADJUSTMENT

IMPORTANT: DO NOT OPERATE ENGINE AT FULL THROTTLE FOR PROLONGED PERIODS WHILE MAKING HIGH SPEED ADJUSTMENTS AS DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE CAN OCCUR.

Make a test cut.
Based on performance of the saw while cutting, adjust the high speed mixture screw in 1/16 turn increments as follows:
- Clockwise if saw loses power in the cut. Do not adjust for best power by sound or speed, but judge by how well the saw performs in the cut.
- Counterclockwise ff the saw has speed while out of the cut, but dies in the cut or lacks power while cutting.
Repeat the test cut.
Continue with 1/16 turn adjustments until the saw performance is acceptable while cutting.
After completing adjustments, check for acceleration.

ACCELERATION CHECK
If the engine dies or hesitates instead of accelerating, turn the Low Speed Mixture Screw 1/16 of a turn at a time counterclockwise until you have smooth acceleration.
Check the idle speed for stability and no chain movement. Adjust as necessary.
Recheck for smooth acceleration and stable idle. Repeat process as necessary for acceptable performance.

CAUTION: A CARBURETOR SETTING THAT IS TOO LEAN (CLOCKWISE ADJUSTMENT ON HIGH SPEED SCREW FOR MAXIMUM SPEED) WILL CAUSE ENGINE DAMAGE TO ANY 2-CYCLE ENGINE FROM OVERHEATING AND LACK OF LUBRICATION. NEVER SET THE HIGH SPEED SCREW SO FAR CLOCKWISE THAT YOU HAVE HIGH ENGINE SPEED
LACKING POWER TO CUT. AN EFFECTIVE APPROACH FOLLOWS.
- TURN HIGH SPEED SCREW COUNTERCLOCKWISE UNTIL ENGINE LOSES
POWER WHILE CUTTING,
- TURN HIGH SPEED SCREW CLOCKWISE USING 1/16 TURN INCREMENTS ONLY UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS POWER WHILE CUTTING. IF THE ENGINE DOES NOT OPERATE
ACCORDING TO THESE INSTRUCTIONS AFTER REPEATING THE ADJUSTING STEPS, DO NOT USE THE UNIT. FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE, PLEASE CALL OUR CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE HOTLINE AT 1-800-235-5878.

Old 10-31-10, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds reasonable enough to me. I don't do it that way, but for someone unfamiliar with the process, this should be fine.

Old 12-05-10, 08:12 PM
Hi,

I know I haven't been on here for a while, but just wanted to give you an update on the chainsaw. I can get the thing running and keep it running, however, when I pull the throttle to engage the chain, it will sometimes rev up and try to cut, or it will choke until I let it return back to idle. Once it returns back to idle, it will stay running. The problem is that I can only hold it at full speed for about a minute and then it will choke and die.

I know the high speed mixture screw needs to be adjusted, but whenever I think I have found the "sweet spot", I give it a try and it does the same thing. I'd hate to take it to someone to have it adjusted with just a small simple adjustment like that.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 12-06-10, 08:34 AM
While it is running spray/dribble some carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along the mating surfaces to see if the engine tempo changes, if it does you have an air leak and can take the appropriate action. Have a good one. Geo

Old 12-06-10, 05:15 PM
Turn both of the mixture screws counterclockwise until they stop. Do not attempt to adjust the screw beyond the stops as damage can occur.
Turn idle speed screw clockwise 1/2 turn.
If engine fails to start after performing carburetor presets, the unit may be flooded. Review the "Difficult Starting" section of the manual. If problems continue
call the t-800 number listed on the front cover of this manual for further assistance.
Start the engine and operate for three (3) minutes to warm up. Go to "Adjusting Procedure."

This part of the procedure you posted earlier is flawed.
But, marbobj had it correct in an earlier post. The mixture screws are to be turned out 1 1/2 turns from lightly seated, to get it started.

Also, are you absolutely sure the fuel lines are correctly run, and, does the air purge bulb pull fuel into the carb when released and push fuel down the return line when it's pushed ?

If all this is correct, then try geo's air leak test.
hth

Old 12-06-10, 06:31 PM
Actually, I didn't follow the directions that I posted. I found some easier directions that were a little easier to understand than those long drawn out directions. I will try the leak test and go from there.

The fuel lines are hooked up correctly. Fuel does go into the carb when I push the primer and it also goes back into the tank as well.

Old 12-06-10, 08:27 PM
You'r probably going to have to tear into it & put in a carb overhaul kit.. The diaghragms get stiff from age, old fuel etc & you'll never adjust it right,, Sorry,, Roger

Old 12-07-10, 02:58 AM
Roger is right, even tho the carb was put on new last spring, it's hard telling how long it sat on a shelf somewhere. I've worked on a lot of these saws with the WT324 carb, they're Walbro, takes a K10-WAT kit. Actually, probably only needs the metering diaphragm..

These sites are helpful:

Service Manuals
Select a Manufacturer [Frontstep Customer Center 5 Frontstep, Inc.]

hth

Old 12-11-10, 04:59 PM
Here is what I have done so far. I went to my local snapper store and asked one of the service tech's what it could be and he said it sounds like it may be an air leak. When I told him that I took the head off to clean the carbon from the piston, he asked if I put a head gasket on it. I couldn't remember, so he told me to go by the parts store and pick up a tube of RTV. I picked up a tube of the red RTV and went home to disassemble the head. Once I got the head off, I saw the gas/oil mixture in-between the head assembly and other half. I put some RTV on it and let it cure. So far, I have not had a chance to crank it back up. I am pretty sure that will fix the problem with my saw acting like it will choke out when going full throttle. Will post an update once I get it running.