Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compressor and impact wrench problem

CANADA

10-30-10, 03:37 PM   #1  
Compressor and impact wrench problem

Hi,
I have a 20 Gallon 1.5HP Craftsman compressor and a Mastercraft 100piece air tool kit which comes with a 1/2" impact wrench, air hammer, air ratchet and router (sells for $299 at Canadian Tire). Both the compressor and Mastercraft kit are brand new. I connected up my impact wrench to the compressor using the 3/8" 25' cable that shipped with the compressor and there is preactically no torque at 90 psi. I've tried increasing up to 130psi and still no torque. I can hold the socket in my hand and press the trigger and it goes "tick tick tick tick" like the torque has been reached on the highest torque setting. Note that if I dont hold the socket it does spin pretty fast. My compressor says it serves 5.1 scfm @ 90psi the impact wrench says it requires 5.0 scfm and should be run at 90psi.

i dont know if there is a problem with the compressor or the impact wrench. I simply want to remove 4 wheels from my car but cant get anywhere near the torque to do that.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
EG

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-30-10, 07:58 PM   #2  
Have you checked the setting on the impact gun? I'm assuming it has a dial near the hose inlet on the gun to adjust the power like most of the chinese models do. It could also be a defective gun.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

10-31-10, 06:42 AM   #3  
In addition to cheese's suggestion -- did you add tool oil to the impact wrench before you used it. Somewhere on the gun near the air port it probbaly reads "oil every day" or "oil before each use". A couple of drops of oil are added at the air port.

CANADA

10-31-10, 06:55 AM   #4  
Posted By: jl66redcpe In addition to cheese's suggestion -- did you add tool oil to the impact wrench before you used it. Somewhere on the gun near the air port it probbaly reads "oil every day" or "oil before each use". A couple of drops of oil are added at the air port.

Hi, thanks to both of you for the suggestions, I did not oil the gun, I did not think that would potentially cause this problem on it's first use, unfortunately the instructions that come with the gun are not for noobs like me... do I put a few drops directly into the airhole or into the little hex bolt on the side of the gun?
Sorry for the dumb questions, I've never used one of these before :-)

CANADA

10-31-10, 06:59 AM   #5  
Posted By: jl66redcpe In addition to cheese's suggestion -- did you add tool oil to the impact wrench before you used it. Somewhere on the gun near the air port it probbaly reads "oil every day" or "oil before each use". A couple of drops of oil are added at the air port.
hi cheese,
The only setting is one big dial on the back of the gun, it has 1 setting for counter-clockwise, and 3 settings for clockwise. Naturally, I tried them all...

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-10, 10:28 AM   #6  
You can add some oil in the hole with the screw, but I usually just squirt a few drops in the air inlet. Do your other tools work fine? If so, I suppose the air pressure and volume are sufficient, especially if it runs the air ratchet well. Try another coupler end on the tool in case it's a hair short and not depressing the check valve in the hose end coupler well enough (I've had this on more than one occasion). If it still doesn't work, I'd say the gun is defective.

God bless!

CANADA

10-31-10, 01:52 PM   #7  
Latest news...

Bad news guys... today I decided to not take any chances, I brought the whole motomaster kit back and replaced with a new one, oiled up the new gun and ... same problem... noticed a really tiny leak coming from where the hose (that came with the craftsman compressor) connects to the compressor... so decided to return to the shop and buy a new hose, maybe it's the hose... replaced the hose, still getting a really tiny hissss from the connector so I take my wrench and go to tighten the connector on the compressor a little bit and POOF, adapter snaps and screw part stays in compressor... btw, I also replaced all couplers with CH fittings, I'm pretty sure my compressor was a POS lemon to start with but now it's useless to me and I didnt even get to use it once...

I plan on bringing it back to Sears this week and I really hope that they replace it with a new one even with the screw jammed in the connection, i'm so pissed at Craftsman right now, thought they were a really good make, anyway thanks for all your advice, will keep you posted....

EG

PA

10-31-10, 03:16 PM   #8  
Sears is buying a lot more junk from China, as are many other retailers. The only think warrantied by Sears to last forever is hand tools.

If it is not too old return it.

Steve

Super Moderator

CANADA

10-31-10, 03:57 PM   #9  
In defense of cheap compressor retailers, their customers usually get what they ask for.

At one time a diy'er owning a compressor and air tools was not as common as it is today.
The reason was because relative to a persons wages they were quite expensive.
Today a good quality compressor is still fairly costly but mfrs have stepped up and made models almost cheap enough to include with a grocery order!

If a person would buy a name brand, cast iron, oil filled, belt drive unit it could very well last a lifetime.
There are good contractor grade oilless units out there but they are not cheap like box store sale units.

If what you want is a good compressor you need to spend some good money!

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-10, 05:56 PM   #10  
I second GregH's response. $299 for a compressor and all that other stuff means you bought a bottom of the line unit. You'll spend more than $299 for a good compressor alone. A good impact will cost another $200. Not trashing your stuff, just saying you shouldn't expect it to be "really good" like you posted. You should, however, expect it to work for a while anyway. I don't know if they will warranty the compressor since you broke the fitting by overtightening it. It sounds like the compressor was fine and the gun was bad. I guess since the gun was part of the package, they should exchange the entire setup for you.

God bless!

Search this Thread