Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh 17HP OHV engine won't start

IN

10-31-10, 02:31 PM   #1  
Tecumseh 17HP OHV engine won't start

Hi,

I recently bought a Yard Machine riding mower with a Tecumseh OHV 17 HP engine. I got it from a guy I know that was tired of messing with it not starting. It did get it running the other day after cleaning the carb and everything seemed good. Drove and mowed with it. Yesterday I went to start it and it wouldn't start. It is not getting gas to the engine. There is gas at the carb. The bowl fills up. It turns over good, but doesn't pull gas from the carb at all when cranking it over. I have tried chocking it and not chocking it. So today I decided to put a carb on it from a running engine and still have the same result. If I squirt gas in the carb it will run. I took the carb apart and made sure all the passages were clear. Still won't pull gas when cranking. With the carb removed, I put my hand over the intake and there is alot of vacuum pulling to the engine. The tube that goes from the air filter to the engine is in good shape. Any ideas to what is causing my problem. I am at my wits end today with this.

Engine numbers are:
OHV17 204605B STP490U1G2RA

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

NH

10-31-10, 04:38 PM   #2  
Have you adjusted the valves?

IN

10-31-10, 07:07 PM   #3  
I got it running the other day. Even mowed with it and let it run awhile. It ran smooth with no stumbling at all. It runs fine now...as long as I squirt gas in the carb.
Just can't get it to pull gas into the engine to start on its own.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-31-10, 08:17 PM   #4  
Check the throttle cable adjustment to be sure it is making the choke close all the way.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

10-31-10, 08:24 PM   #5  
I don' know if this will help or not, but make sure the coil gap is adjusted to ~ 0.010.. I've found a couple small engines that are hard to start & it seems the spark isn't strong enough to fire the fuel from the carb, but will run with some in the plug hole,, I hope this helps

Roger

IN

10-31-10, 08:53 PM   #6  
I can even put a little gas in the air filter housing and it starts fine. I did make sure the choke was closed when trying to start it also. It has me frazled. I took the carb apart today and checked all the passages. I will check it again tomorrow. It still seems like a carb problem. Can't figure out anything else it could be at this point. I checked the spark and it is strong. Gas is not getting to the plug, it is dry after cranking it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-01-10, 11:25 PM   #7  
But the carb works fine on another engine?

God bless!

IN

11-14-10, 07:11 AM   #8  
Yes, the carb was off of a running engine. I did take it apart and make sure everything was clean also.
So I started over again. I put the original carb back on it. I did have this tractor running and even mowed with it using this carb after I got the mower. So now it still doesn't start. Gas at the carb, it fills the bowl like it should. I cleaned carb and every passage is clear including main jet. It does have a fuel solenoid on the carb. I did check it and it works properly. When I turn it over, it turns over good, just never fires. I can put gas in the spark plug hole, in the air filter housing or straight into the intake and it fires up and runs till that gas runs out. Plug fires good.
I am ready to pull my hair out, as if I could stand to lose any more of it. LOL

Any advice would be appreciated

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-14-10, 11:42 AM   #9  
Take the fuel solenoid out, pull the jet with the spring on it out, then way back in the bottom of the hole is a tiny o-ring. Pluck it out and install a new one. I think yours has swollen shut. The pressure of the jet pressing on it with spring pressure plus the immersion in gas (especially the ethanol gas we have today) makes the o-ring swell shut.

God bless!

IN

11-18-10, 04:38 PM   #10  
Took carb apart and o ring is in good condition. Back to square one for me.

Search this Thread