Snowblower rude salesman

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-10, 04:22 PM
Snowblower rude salesman

Hello,
Today, I had an unfortunatate incident with a rude salesman that did not sell "Yardman" snow blowers. According to the internet info, I was directed to this business to purchase this item. I learned they did not sell this brand and directed me to take a look at "Cubcadet" snow blowers. The salesman stated that this brand was manufactured by "MTD". So after checking out the Cubcadet, I ask him if he could prove to me that MTD does in fact manufacture this brand. His responce!! Are you calling me a liar. I replied; no ....... I just want to see literature that states this brand was manufactured by MTD.
After all, I had already made up my mind before entering the store that "Yardman" was my choice. So being offered a differant brand would make me ask more questions as to whether this brand was better quality or had better spec's. Now I would have considered this brand if he had been more civil but as a potential customer, no business should hire counterpersions who get their backup when ask to substantiate their claims. he could not do this.
I still do not know if he is telling me the truth but that is the the point of the matter. The point is the customer has a right to get confirmation on what the salesman says.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-04-10 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-10, 04:55 PM
Indy or Cheese may have a different take on this, but I don't know if the up front literature would give a lot of the parent/sub relationships. A lot of the time we can find them out by tracking ownerships, but they do change frequently as buyouts occur.

I imagine Cheese can tell you who owns who in that MTD lineup.

Old 11-04-10, 05:06 PM
That saleman was indeed very rude. You are right not to deal with them. I don't know if the litature states that Cub Cadet is owned by MTD or not. I can tell you that Cub Cadet is indeed owned by MTD and is thier top of the line Outdoor Power Equipment. (and usually more $$$). MTD also makes TroyBilt, YardMan, YardMachines and Sears Snowblowers. They also made White but have dropped the White brand. WalMart usaully sells YardMan and Lowes sells Troybilt. You may want to look at Sears snowblowers as they are the same as well as Troybilts.

Old 11-04-10, 05:31 PM
I just checked out the MTD website.
They do in fact list Cub Cadet as one of their brands amongst a few familiar others such as Troy-bilt, Yard Machine, Yard-Man and other power equipment.
So the question is: Why not make this information available so that the customer knows and can ask which brand is the best. The only reason I can think of as to why they do not is:
Each of their brands has shortcomings. So instead of installing the best parts, they take away on some and add on others. This arrangement does not make it easy for the customer to determine which brand or model.

As an addedum, there were three Cub Cadets ready for delivery to customers and when I asked for a demostration; the salesman could not start two of them (lack of knowledge) and the technician had to pull the manual crank line three times to start the third. It makes me wonder how many cranks it will take when this model is 5 years old.
The models do have an electric start but I believe they need to be hook up to a 120volt supply to do this.

Old 11-04-10, 06:44 PM
1 reason CubCadet tries to distance itself from other MTD products is the Cub reputation. The first Cubs were introduced in 1961 as a reliable workhorse for the homeowner & commercial users who does not want or need a full size farm tractor. International Havester wanted to compete with John Deere's line of homeowner lawn products. MTd bought the Line in 1981. Cub also makes larger "sub compact" tractors in parntership with Yanmar.
Yes, most snowblowers use 120V starter for starting. Having a battery on the snowblower would add un-nessecary weight. The salesman did not know how to start it. It should have a primer on it. To start, prime 3 times, choke on full. and it should start on the first pull. I have a1995 MTD (K-Pro KMart) and it always starts on the first pull.

Old 11-04-10, 07:28 PM
rjordan392

I see that you too are in or near Philly. The first thing I will mention is that last year my now over 15 year old Craftsman branded MTD got quite a work out. There was lots of snow to move. But I had not used it in either of the two previous seasons. A simple snow shovel was all I needed in those two seasons. So around here you may use it two or three times in the winter, or like last year it will be out a lot.

My personal recommendation is to consider the Craftsman MTD 2 stage snow blower. I have a slight bias towards Craftsman for some items only because of the Sears parts web site. My 25 year old Kenmore gas grill is still on their parts site. Not too much still available for it but it's nice to know that years down the road that you can see an exploded parts diagram and what parts are still available from the manufacturer that made it for Sears. You generally will pay a few dollars more at Sears than at other places but after you leave most big box stores support is non-existent.

If you wish to consider something better than an MTD, you could look at a Snapper. But you will pay more for something like that.

Good Luck

Steve

Old 11-04-10, 07:45 PM
There is no place in any customer service business for a rude sales person or any other employee that doesn't understand who is really paying the bills, it is the customer. Many times it is a struggle, however, if you have no customers you have no need for employees since there is no money with which to pay them. At times customer service just sucks. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-05-10, 03:46 AM
Shadeladie,
You are doing a disservice to the forum members by editing out the identity of the business who hired this rude salesman. This is the type of information that members need. I realize that its not the fault of the owner but he has to take responsibility for hiring this person. Customers have it tough enough trying to get information thats not listed on brochures and I had to go to the MTD website and I saw that the "Cub Cadet" is actually made to attract the professional. Now if that info was on the brochures, it would have got my attention.
I have brochures of the CubCadet and Yard-Man. I need to decipher them to compare spec's because they either omit information or use differant terminology.
Now because of the incident I had, I am going to see another dealer whose snowblowers are made by Husqvarna.

Old 11-05-10, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
You are doing a disservice to the forum members by editing out the identity of the business who hired this rude salesman.
No, I'm following the rules of the forum, which you obviously need to read. If you were a new member, I would have deleted the post and sent you an infraction for company bashing.

Old 11-05-10, 11:28 AM
I see four paragraphs under forum rules and regulations and I see nothing about company bashing and I disagree that it was bashing. I was treated rudely. So I told what happened. So this means under your rules (whereever they are) no member can identify and complain about a business??????
If you where to take a poll, it would interesting to see how many members disagree with you.

Old 11-05-10, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
I have run into this kind of issue before after buying a $4000 M/C (20 yrs ago) and going back for $400 in S/O accessories. When a counter guy couldn't be bothered with helping for a part on the rack, I went back to the parts dept and told them I wanted to cancel my S/O. When he (an Asst Manager) asked why, I explained and he apologized immediately, had the counterman apologize and gave me 10% off my S/O.

Yes, I think you were bashing as well. If the company treated everyone like that, they wouldn't stay around long. When I get bad service...I ask for a Boss and get it made right.

Complaining about the service you received is completely understandable....but we do the same editing thing for members who bash big box home improvement stores and online retailers as well. It's in the announcements at the top of each Forum Announcements - Automotive Service and Repairs

We are here to help fix problems and offer advice.

Old 11-05-10, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
No, this is not the place to complain about a business.

So this means under your rules
Well, they're not my rules, they're the forum's and the forum owner's rules. I donate my time to enforce them, so don't get mad at me.

Each topic has the rules and polices posted, so if you look under the "web site rules and policies", and scroll down about half way, here is what it says:

Derogative and/or negative remarks, comments, opinions, claims and/or statements made in any forum topic, in reference to and/or pertaining to any products, parts and/or services rendered by manufacturers, companies, dealers, agents, sponsors, advertisers, service personal and/or representatives of such, will and/or can be subjected to editing and/or deletion.

Old 11-05-10, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator
You are correct, no member can identify and complain about a business!

The thing here is that there is always two sides to every story.

There is no excuse for a salesman to "loose it" but there are often provoking circumstances.
I have too often seen folks becoming empowered by an evening of Gogglin' to the point of becoming obnoxious!

There is no point in carrying this any further.
Thread closed.

Closed Thread