Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryobi trimmer

FL

11-06-10, 11:05 AM   #1  
Ryobi trimmer

I am having trouble with my Ryobi string trimmer. I have put in a new spark plug, replaced the gas with a new mix, replaced the gas filter, replaced the fuel lines, and I still can't get it to start. I took the carburetor off cleaned it up and put it back on emptied the gas tank and tried to start it again and it started for about 5 seconds so I put gas back in the tank and again it would not start. I was wondering if I did not put enough oil in the gas will that prevent it from starting? Or there is a diaphragm on the carburetor that seems to be stretched can that be the problem. I am a novice at small engine repair but I sure would like to fix this thing myself. Thanks for the help
Joexray

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-06-10, 11:17 AM   #2  
From your description, I'd guess the metering valve diaphragm is stiff and holding the needle open a bit maybe. Is the spark plug wet?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OK

11-07-10, 05:32 AM   #3  
A couple of other things to check for is compression, 2 smokers won't run much if below 90 psi, and, make sure bolts holding cylinder are tight.
hth

Search this Thread