1978 Toro snow blower shear bolt

Old 11-09-10, 03:51 AM
1978 Toro snow blower shear bolt

Good morning,
I have a 1978 Toro Snow Blower that has a broken shear bolt this snow blower has the big drum with the holes four holes in the drum from which u get to the shear pins.
I have been soaking the broken bolt for a week now. well last night I tried to remove it & yes the head broke off so now the auger just spins free & part of the bolt is inside. I tried pounding the thing out no luck but I'm not sure if the bolt is threaded in there!.
I have no clue why Toro put this big drum on there back then but they did & it is a pain. So my question is can I drill the broken bolt out of there? & if so it will have to be a long drill bit!. So what would be the best drill bit to get to do this? As these things have been in since new so they are like welded in there but I figure that since these were meant to break they should not be that strong. I have new ones so I guess I could take one to show the guy the size bit I need if this would work. If not I'm going to have to call to have the local shop pick her up to fix it.
Thank you for any help u can give me!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-10, 06:52 AM
I hate those stupid bigass drums. I would use a long punch just a bit smaller then the pin and drive it with a 5lb hammer.