Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan P3314 Chainsaw

AZ

11-11-10, 09:16 PM   #1  
Poulan P3314 Chainsaw

I just got a used Poulan P3314 Chainsaw it runs and cuts fine no issues. I just wanted to know about how long the running time is on a tank of gas Im going up to the woods to cut firewood I want to make sure I take enough gas with me also its a 14" I was told I could put a 16" bar and chain on it would that work on this saw thanks for you help

Sponsored Links

Non-US

11-11-10, 11:00 PM   #2  
How much wood can a Poulan Cut??? Are you making a 12 hour day out of it?? Or just an afternoon.. Hardwood requires more fuel than say Poplar,, The saw should run 15 mins easy on a tank of fuel, but if I'm going to make a day of cutting wood in the bush, I'll take 5 gal of fuel & oil mix,, A gallon of oil for the bar, A 1/2 dozen sandwedges & a cooler of water... Keep your self Hydraded as this is heavy work if you split it by hand in the bush as well.... Think of the Fuel for yourself as well as the saw.... Just a couple thoughts,,,, Roger

IA

11-12-10, 04:57 AM   #3  
I've cut a lot of firewood in the past - most of it was hickory/oak/red elm. Normally you won't actually run the chainsaw that many minutes. I say minutes instead of hours since an hour of actually run time on the saw is huge.

If you were filling a 3/4 ton pickup with wood that you could get to in a drive along side it would take you about three hours to cut, block, and fill the pickup. You could drag it out, but 3 hours would get it done. In that three hours, with a sharp chain and the saw running well, the run time on the saw would be about 1/2 hour solid and would use about 1/2 gallon of fuel and two fills of chain bar oil. Since you're working with a small saw you would add some time to that, but it's a starting point.

AZ

11-12-10, 04:39 PM   #4  
its a 14" bar and chain with a 33cc motor i was told I could put a 16" bar and chain on it max. is this true I know the poulans that come with a 16" bar and chain are 35cc so does 2cc really make that big of a diffrence to turn a 16"

IA

11-12-10, 05:14 PM   #5  
You really aren't going to pull a cut on 14 inches of wood with either. You can put a 20 inch bar on a 16 inch saw, but you won't cut 16 inches of wood anyway. If you could you would be able to cut down a 32 inch tree, but don't count on it.

Poulans are good for 6 to 8 inch trees as a norm. You can get bigger ones down, but those saws will only take so much.

So you can put on the 16 inch bar, but as far as doing any more work with it - probably not. You'd just have a little more chain to work with.

Search this Thread