Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor (I think) problem

MN

11-16-10, 04:57 PM   #1  
Carburetor (I think) problem

I have a Snapper snowblower with a 5.5 HP Tecumseh engine. Looks like a float type carb. We had our first snowfall this past weekend where I used it. It started perfectly on the first pull like it always does after hitting the priming bulb about 6 times and choking it. It ran for a few seconds and then died. I primed it again and again it started on the first pull. I found that I had to keep pushing on the priming bulb every so often for about a minute as it ran. After that, it ran fine, but only on about 3/4 choke. Take it off choke and it would die. So I used it for about 45 minutes on 3/4 choke.

The exhaust looks normal, it only got a bit of color to it when I was hitting the priming bulb to keep it running initially. When I put it away last spring there was still a little gas in it, so I added a little Stabil; then I filled it up with fresh gas this fall. I am thinking that it has to be a carb problem, but what do you think I need to do? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

NH

11-16-10, 05:41 PM   #2  
sounds like the main jet is clogged. If you have a gas shut-off, turn it off. If not, you will have to drain the gas tank. Then you need to carefully remove the main jet (the bolt on the bottom of the carb) and clean all the holes using a paper clip on the big hole and a small peice of wire on the small hole that is usually located in the threads.

MN

11-17-10, 03:59 AM   #3  
Thank you for the reply! I've done a little poking around on the web and it appears that when I take out the main jet, the bowl will also come off. Is that correct? So I assume that means I also need to find a new gasket for the bowl then?

NH

11-17-10, 05:30 AM   #4  
If you are careful, you can remove the main jet and the bowl will stay in place. I have done it many times. Just don't jar the bowl or it will fall off along with the needle valve. If that happens, then you need to remove the carb.

MN

11-20-10, 11:58 AM   #5  
Well that was way too easy!! Thank you so much indypower for helping me with this. Runs perfect now. The only problem I had was when I washed off the jet with carb cleaner in the kitchen sink. Wives just don't understand

Search this Thread