compression cycle

Old 11-20-10, 10:59 AM
compression cycle

I have a 1974 15hp briggs and stratton engine off an old simplicity 3415s. Its compression cycle is too much for a pull start or starter motor to handle but I hear you can adjust compression cycles. How would I do that?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-10, 01:06 PM
It comes down to the compression release and how you break the exhaust valve open. You really aren't adjusting the cycle, just cutting it back a little early. However, if everything is adjusted properly on the valves and the compression release is working, you can start those engines without a lot of difficulty, given it's tuned up etc.

Some engines may not have the compression release, but I suspect that one would.

I would get a parts breakdown on the engine, confirm it has the release, then adjust the valves to specs. Then if you still can't get it to turn over, go to the compression release and work to make it serviceable.

**The compression release will open the exhaust valve early to cut the starting compression, then drop out of the way to provide full compression for running.

Also, on your engine, make sure the points are set properly and the flywheel key is in good shape and fitted into the flywheel and crank properly. An advanced timing will also cause that type of starting problem.

Old 11-20-10, 02:43 PM
well, here's the part breakdown for the engine:Parts and Diagrams for Briggs and Stratton 325431-0126-99
if it helps the engine is a Briggs and Stratton 325431-0126. Google that and you have the engine that I'm working on.