Is there a shear pin here? (ancient snowblower)

Old 11-22-10, 01:18 PM
Is there a shear pin here? (ancient snowblower)

Got our first good snow, and now the ancient craftsman snowblower I got running, isn't

The picture describes the problem I'm having. Basically, the chain from the engine just spins around the shaft, leaving the auger and drive wheels with no power. With no load it spins everything, but that's not very useful.

I'm not sure if there's a shear pin on that gear from the engine or not. The big spring there makes me think it's supposed to provide some slip in case I hit something with the auger? I'm also afraid if I take it apart the spring will become unsprung, and I'll never get it back together

link to picture

So, working as designed, or should I take it apart and see what I find?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-10, 01:59 PM
The pin

It looks like one or both of the thin discs betwen the chain sprockets have worn enough to not be able to drive the machine under a load.Try to take about a half to a full turn on that big nut on the left end of the spring on the shaft. It might have a carter pin and if it hasn't been turned in a few years, it might be stuborn. It looks like it might be your safety device, so dont tighten it too much [clockwise of course]. That blower is the only one that I have seen that is older then mine, sears '66. Another thought, there might be grease on the
discs, any solvent or gas will fix that.
Sid

Old 11-22-10, 02:31 PM
It looks like you're correct. I tightened that big bolt about a turn, and it's better, but it still slips between the two sprockets. I also sprayed it down with carb cleaner.

Is there anywhere to get those (friction?) discs anymore?

And yes, this thing is OLD

Picture of whole thing

Thanks,

Old 11-22-10, 04:15 PM
If you have the model number, you can look here for parts.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action

Old 11-22-10, 04:32 PM
I have the number off the motor written down somewhere. Unfortunately, any model numbers for the blower itself are long gone

Old 11-23-10, 03:05 PM
old blower

You can take up some more on that adjusting nut, just be shure that you have som e form of safety so you don't wreck your machine. You might be able to google clutch disk materials to se what you come up with, you might have to buy more than you need, or you might find something that might be just what i need. The engine onyour blower looks almost exactly like mine [techumseh] the model # should be stamped on the flywheel/fan housing, near where it curves toward the cylinder head, you may have to sand it lightly in that area to find it
Sid

Old 11-23-10, 04:13 PM
Ok, so just generic clutch disk should work.

I did tighten the big bolt down two more turns, and it's actually moving snow now

After hitting some big gravel in the driveway, I know it's not too tight to keep it from slipping

Thanks for the help, I'm in business now