Craftsman Snow Thrower Won't Start Model: 247.885570

Old 11-23-10, 11:01 AM
Question Craftsman Snow Thrower Won't Start Model: 247.885570

Hello everyone ... thank you for having me on the forum. I have this craftsman 7 horsepower 24" two stage track drive snow thrower model number 247.885570. It's been sitting for a couple of years and I can't get it started. I have fresh gas and I replace the spark plug with a new one. It smell like it is getting fuel, but it doesn't sound like the spark plug is firing:NO NO NO:. All it does is crank.

It has an electric starter, but has no filters to my knowledge ... the manual states there is a shut off switch but has no information of it's location, and after thoroughly look over the machine I see nothing that indicate it has a shut off switch ... I've had the machine for years and never had to bother with any kind of shut off switch ... the only thing I can tell is it is not firing in order to start. Does anyone here have any what is happening. Could it be something more serious with the engine or maybe some kind of (hopefully) minor adjustment?

If I can find some kind of link to a manual of my machine I will post it. Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-10, 02:20 PM
Arrow Update ....

Hello again ... I did some more checking and established that it is getting a spark ... I checked by using the plug I replace and had it plugged into the wire, but not screwed in to the engine. I clearly saw the spark when I hit the starter button. When I put the new spark plug back in and tried starting it ... it started right away ... but didn't keep running ... I tried again ... and again it started right away ... but I couldn't get the choke adjusted to where it would continue to run ... after that ... nothing ... same problem again.

I will continue my research and see what else I need to check out.

Old 11-23-10, 03:27 PM
Craftaman

It's probably the main jet, unscrew the7/16 nut/jet assy, and clean it up, paying carefull attention to a very hard to see hole about halfway up the threads, I usually use a wire from a wire brush, pull one out with a pair of pliers, that's usually what it is. In the future,instell a fuel line shut off valve in the fuel line someware, and each time you use it especially near the end of the winter run the machine dry, I've been doing with all my equiptment for forty some years and I never have trouble whith that problem at least.
Sid

Old 11-23-10, 04:53 PM
I agree with sidny. It has been sitting for 2 years and has varnish inside the carb. Clean the main jet.

Old 11-24-10, 08:36 AM
thanks for responding sid ... could you please clarify what the "main jet", is? Are you talking about the carburetor? I was planning to check the fuel line next, but I have to figure out how to disconnect it. I see there is a clamp near the gas tank, but I figure I should try and figure out how to detach it from the other end that way I would know whether or not the fuel line is blocked. I will check my manual in the mean time and see if I can find anything describing the "main jet".

Old 11-24-10, 08:39 AM
Thumbs up will check it out

funny that I didn't see you guys posts when I came back and posted the update ... so sid is talking about the carb ... I will see if I can find the main jet and clean it up ... thanks much.

Old 11-24-10, 12:36 PM
Question another update

Okay I checked out the fuel line and disconnected it from the carb. There was plenty of fuel coming out on that end ... I took off the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner, I didn't see any kind of "main jets" anywhere, but sprayed in opening I could reach. Hooked it back up ... nothing ... but if I put carb cleaner or starting fluid in the carb it will start for a few seconds then stop, but I don't understand why it's not getting any fuel.

Old 11-24-10, 02:54 PM
Engine model please

If you could post the model numbers from the engine we could give you better info.

AJ

Old 11-24-10, 03:27 PM
The main jet

The brass bolt you unscrewed from the carb bowl is the main jet/venturie. The middle of this bolt has the main needle valve, then on the side of this "bolt" are threads most of the way up, and someware on those threads is a tiny hole that must be cleaned .
See several previous posts for more info on cleaning carb jets.
Some of the very knowlegeble pros may offer some help.
Sid

Old 11-24-10, 03:35 PM
Arrow

hi aj ... thanks for posting ... the engine model number is 143.977001

Old 11-24-10, 03:51 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by sidny View Post
The brass bolt you unscrewed from the carb bowl is the main jet/venturie. The middle of this bolt has the main needle valve, then on the side of this "bolt" are threads most of the way up, and someware on those threads is a tiny hole that must be cleaned .
See several previous posts for more info on cleaning carb jets.
Some of the very knowlegeble pros may offer some help.
Sid
Hi again sid ... thanks for posting ... ok I'm looking at the explosive diagram of my carb ... the bolt at the bottom of the carb is labeled ... "Adj. Screw Assy." the diagram shows it has a point at the end of it so I'm guessing this is the jet you are referring to. From that screw assy. up towards the carb bowl is a "tension spring" "washer" "O ring" a bolt with a hole in it that is also labeled "adj. screw assy" then finally "bowl nut washer" ... the only things I see in the diagram that could be clogged are those assy. parts ... would you agree? When I get a chance ... probably Friday I will take it apart and clean those parts with carb cleaner.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving to each and every one of you! Drive safe.

Old 11-24-10, 05:44 PM
Tecumseh carb

Here is a link to some very good pictures of a carb very much like yours and will give you some tips:

Disassembly of Tecumseh Series 1 Carb 632107

AJ

Old 11-25-10, 04:36 PM
Question

Originally Posted by aj-allen View Post
Here is a link to some very good pictures of a carb very much like yours and will give you some tips:

Disassembly of Tecumseh Series 1 Carb 632107

AJ
Thanks for the link those carb are similar to mine own. I took apart the main jet and alas it was very clean ... I saw no varnish or gummy build up anywhere. I use a piece of wire to make sure the holes were clear and sprayed them with carb cleaner. But same situation ... no fuel getting into the carb. I use a little starting fluid and it starts right up for a few seconds then dies. I made sure the screw that I took out and cleaned was turned 1 and 1/2 times from full in. When I pump on the primer it sounds like nothing but air coming out. But even if it were the primer wouldn't the starting fluid have got it started where it would stay running?

I will see if I can find some of the previous post on cleaning the carb jets see if there was anything I missed.

Question .... could it be something other than the carb? It looks like a very simple device with not must to it that can go wrong. Any

Old 11-26-10, 12:36 AM
Do you get fuel out of the carb when you loosten the bowl bolt?? If not, you may have a peice of trash blocking the seat for the needle valve.. Roger

Old 11-26-10, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Thanks for the link those carb are similar to mine own. I took apart the main jet and alas it was very clean ... I saw no varnish or gummy build up anywhere. I use a piece of wire to make sure the holes were clear and sprayed them with carb cleaner. But same situation ... no fuel getting into the carb. I use a little starting fluid and it starts right up for a few seconds then dies. I made sure the screw that I took out and cleaned was turned 1 and 1/2 times from full in. When I pump on the primer it sounds like nothing but air coming out. But even if it were the primer wouldn't the starting fluid have got it started where it would stay running?

I will see if I can find some of the previous post on cleaning the carb jets see if there was anything I missed.

Question .... could it be something other than the carb? It looks like a very simple device with not must to it that can go wrong. Any
When you were cleaning the bowl nut, Picture #6 in the carb link, did you clean the top hole near the upper threads, I usually use the wire from a twist tie, if you didn't it is the problem. Have a good one. Geo

Last edited by geogrubb; 11-26-10 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-27-10, 03:54 PM
Red face Problem solved!

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
When you were cleaning the bowl nut, Picture #6 in the carb link, did you clean the top hole near the upper threads, I usually use the wire from a twist tie, if you didn't it is the problem. Have a good one. Geo

Thank you guys for all your help ... man is my face red ... or as red as it can get ... I went out to double check to see it there was some kind of shut off value ...after I checked that hole in the jet with no results. I use a spot light to search ... then I made sure it had fuel and to my surprise ... it didn't ... even though I filled it a few days earlier somehow all the gas leaked out even though I don't see any sign of leaking ... the machine was in a dark spot and I couldn't move it and it looked like it had fuel and when I put my finger in the tank I could feel the fuel ... it must have been a slow leak that didn't leave any sign ... but once I filled the tank ... it started no problem. So I will mark this as problem solved ...

Even though it was something simple and over looked I hope this thread will help others.

Old 11-27-10, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Thank you guys for all your help ... man is my face red ... or as red as it can get ... I went out to double check to see it there was some kind of shut off value ...after I checked that hole in the jet with no results. I use a spot light to search ... then I made sure it had fuel and to my surprise ... it didn't ... even though I filled it a few days earlier somehow all the gas leaked out even though I don't see any sign of leaking ... the machine was in a dark spot and I couldn't move it and it looked like it had fuel and when I put my finger in the tank I could feel the fuel ... it must have been a slow leak that didn't leave any sign ... but once I filled the tank ... it started no problem. So I will mark this as problem solved ...
Even though it was something simple and over looked I hope this thread will help others.
It is not a problem solved if you had fuel in the tank and now you don't, depending on the amount of fuel and if there is no obvious leak, it is in the crankcase, which is not good. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-28-10, 02:20 PM
Question what to do then?

Originally Posted by geogrubb View Post
It is not a problem solved if you had fuel in the tank and now you don't, depending on the amount of fuel and if there is no obvious leak, it is in the crankcase, which is not good. Have a good one. Geo
Oh dear ... I never thought of that ... how can I find out for sure? It ran fine when it was running ... but I need to find out for sure ... so what should I do?

Old 11-28-10, 02:32 PM
The blower

Ckeck the oil level and also try to sniff where you check the oil, if in dought, change the oil.
Sid

Old 11-29-10, 06:50 AM
Arrow

Originally Posted by sidny View Post
Ckeck the oil level and also try to sniff where you check the oil, if in dought, change the oil.
Sid
I changed the oil after I got it running ... I didn't notice any gas smell in the old oil, it was pretty dirty because I've never changed the oil myself and it must have been at least a couple of years or more since it's been changed.

But there was no smell of fuel. Also there was a hole in the fuel line near the carb. I don't know if it was always there or if it happen when I pull it from the carburetor. I could see it leaking out gas so I cut the bad part off. It no longer leaks there, but I don't know for sure if that was the problem that empty a full tank. I did fill it the beginning of Nov. and didn't try starting it until the holiday week ... that may have been enough time to leak out, but I just don't know.

But if the oil is the indicator of gas in the crankcase, then there is not.

Old 12-14-13, 07:38 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that this was one of the most helpful posts on troubleshooting a snow blower I've seen. And believe me I've read many. In fact it was so good that I created and account just so I could post this message. Thank you to all the participants for being so patient and helpful with each other. I really feel that the people helping and the people requesting helpful respect others and have a passion for what they do! keep it up!!
HawaiianGirl

Old 12-14-13, 10:00 AM
Welcome aboard HawaiianGirl, however it does bring up the question,, what in the world does a Hawaiian Girl need with a snowblower....lol. Have a good one. Geo