John Deer LX188 Riding Lawn Mower engine replacement

Old 12-02-10, 02:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John Deer LX188 Riding Lawn Mower engine replacement

I have a ten year old John Deer LX188 with a FD 501V CSOO engine. I must replace the engine because of a cracked block (coolant is leaking into engine) Is it worth replacing the engine on an otherwise excellent conditioned mower? If so, where would I find a replacement?
Bob

Old 12-04-10, 01:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
These engines are no longer available to my knowledge, so a new one is probably out of the question. There are used ones around once in a while, but it's rare to find one in good shape. Are you sure the block is cracked? (could be a head gasket blown). These engines are darn near bullet-proof and run great... and as far as I'm concerned, the LX series mowers are the best tractor style lawn mowers ever made by any company. They are well built, easy enough to work on, came with excellent engines, strong thick decks, durable trannys, and they leave nothing to be desired other than a more durable hood. I use an LX188 on my place as well. I'd say if you can fix it for less than $1000, it's probably worth it if the mower is in otherwise excellent condition.

Old 12-04-10, 08:29 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. A John Deer dealer replaced the head gasket and that did not solve the problem. They advised it was probably a crack in the head. That was two years ago and I have been using it since although it has required that I constantly add coolant. It finally died (won't start) as the dealer advised it eventually would. I agree with you it has been an excellent lawn mower and I have kept it in good condition, so I hate to get rid of it because of the engine. I guess I have no choice unless there is a replacement motor that would fit. Are you aware of any?

Old 12-04-10, 11:17 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bob brochu
Thank you for your reply. A John Deer dealer replaced the head gasket and that did not solve the problem. They advised it was probably a crack in the head. That was two years ago and I have been using it since although it has required that I constantly add coolant. It finally died (won't start) as the dealer advised it eventually would. I agree with you it has been an excellent lawn mower and I have kept it in good condition, so I hate to get rid of it because of the engine. I guess I have no choice unless there is a replacement motor that would fit. Are you aware of any?
Small engine warehouse has a replacement 17hp Briggs $650 or 19hp Kohler $675. They show 0 Briggs in stock but have 5 Kohler. Check the links below.Have a good one. Geo
Small Engine Warehouse - Repower Outdoor Power Equipment

John Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse Deere&Model=LX188

Old 12-04-10, 11:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I sent you a private message with some info that may help. Look at the top of the page under the doityourself logo where it tells you welcome, and click on notifications.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: