Murray snowblower thorttle not engaging

Old 12-07-10, 05:51 PM
Murray snowblower thorttle not engaging

Ok, so getting the snow blower ready for winter. I have a relatively old Murray that I acquired and have noticed it will only idle. Upon further inspection I noticed that even with the drive belt tensioned to the driveshaft, the throttle does not engage. Does anyone know when the throttle is supposed to engage or how it would be hooked up? It seems I am missing some kind of linkage. This is a tecumseh engine and I cannot find any details online. I would assume when the auger is engaged the throttle is also supposed to be applied. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 06:14 PM
Here are a couple of photos that might help you. These are on a 8 hp Tecumseh, but the basics are the same. The throttle should be adjusted to fast before engaging the auger or drive.

Old 12-07-10, 06:56 PM
thanks for the response indy. I guess I should specify a little better what I am confused about. The throttle body under the carburetor is spring loaded closed and needs tension to open up the throttle. There is nothing that I can see directly connected to this. The only cabe on it is the cable that engages the pully for the belt and creates enough tension to drive the blade. Should there be a seperate control lever for the throttle or should it somehow be incorporated with the engagement cable for the auger? I will try to post a picture

Old 12-07-10, 07:11 PM
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...snowblower.jpg

for a while the snow blower has apparently only been operating at idle even when auger is engaged the copper color rod is the pivot point and there is a little notch in the end but for the life of me i cannot figure out how full throttle would be automatically or even manually engaged without some kind of a cable attached.

Old 12-07-10, 08:01 PM
Ok, dumb question but is the throttle integrated with the choke on this motor? Maybe it is just missing a link between the throttle and the choke lever.

Old 12-08-10, 05:38 AM
The choke should have a seperate lever to control it. I think there should be a spring from the lever that the cable is attatched to the carb. Looks like there is a small hole in the lever just below the cable hole.

Search this Thread