Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Rider electircal

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-11-10, 08:50 AM   #1  
Craftsman Rider electircal

917.272072 Craftsman rider w/17hp Kohler.

Problem is I have no power to the key switch B terminal. I can jump power to the white wire (S I think) and the starter engages and turns the motor.
I have also checked the PTO switch, and the seat and parking switches should be good since one engaged should cancel the other out, unless they are both bad perhaps. Fuses also check good.
I am thinking one of the relays but can not find a schematic. The B wire shows no short to ground, but if I jump power to this terminal from the battery the jumper wire gets warm pretty quick even with the key in the off position. The key switch "Start" checks good with an ohm meter.
I have not put a lot of time into it as of yet, since it is out of season, but hoping someone might be able to save me some knuckles and head banging since I have not dealt with this exact issue to date.
TIA

Sponsored Links

NH

12-11-10, 09:55 AM   #2  
Here is a parts diagram.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

It may be #81 Operation Presence Relay

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-11-10, 03:59 PM   #3  
Thanks I did find that, but there are three relays all use the same part. Operator presence should be the same as the seat switch, which if the parking brake is engaged, should not be needed. I am guessing the other two relays are for the Parking brake and PTO safetys.
With a schematic I could easily find out, but without a spare relay to try, I am still left with a lot of knuckle busting goblin chasing

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-11-10, 06:48 PM   #4  
Swap relays around (they're all the same) and see if the problem goes away...or rather moves to a different area. You can open these relays and clean the contact points in them if needed. I see a lot of these relays rusted and stuck because water runs down the wires into them when the mower sits outside.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-12-10, 11:38 AM   #5  
Thanks cheese, that is kinda where I was going next. I was just wandering about how to locate the bad relay doing so.
I did do just that and still noting, so I started tracing power back and found the fuse that was good previously, blown, possibly during my jumpering...? Anyway I changed it out and now the key cranks so...

Thanks for the time saving reply

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-12-10, 02:48 PM   #6  
Ok the engine cranks and I have spark, I can get it to fire with fuel in the spark plug hole, however I have no power to the fuel solenoid. I have power to the blue wire coming off of the key switch, but it looks as though the same blue wire ties into each of the relays. So I am guessing one of the relays is still bad? The engine will crank with spark with all three relays removed...and I can't hear or feel any of them click or anything when turning the key to on.
I guess I need to find a good relay and swap em out till it works...? since I now have them josstled, even a schematic would not help me locate it.
Btw, I did test the fuel solenoid and it works fine when power is applied.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-13-10, 11:16 PM   #7  
Chances are it's a relay. Look at the underside of the black cover and you'll see where you can stick a screwdriver in and pop the cover off. Then you can clean it and sand the points and get it working.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-15-10, 09:40 AM   #8  
All the relays checked out ok, so I dug a bit deeper and found a schematic then found my way into the ole, "assume" conundrum.

I had been troubleshooting with the parking brake locked, and since I had a charger on the battery, need to have the seat up. Once I made the seat switch, I had power to all
I had "assumed" since the starter was engaging that the brake switch was working. I also thought that the ignition would be cut off if the brake switch was not working. Ignition cut off is on the same side as the start circuit so explains why I had spark. Seems only the side of the brake switch that allows power to the start side but not to the power (blue) wire for the fuel solenoid, was working.

Actually kinda fun when you have to "earn" your wages

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-15-10, 06:20 PM   #9  
Lol. I don't know about fun, but at least it's rewarding. These AYPs with the relay system are so prone to relay problems that I go straight to the relays and verify that they are all good before moving on to other areas when diagnosing electrical problems on them.

Glad you found the problem.

God bless!

Search this Thread