Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

8.5HP Tecumseh snowblower leaks gas from choke when engine is off

CT

12-17-10, 09:24 AM   #1  
8.5HP Tecumseh snowblower leaks gas from choke when engine is off

I have a 10yr old 8.5HP techumseh on a YardMachine snow blower and it leaks gas out of the choke when I have the machine off and tipped back slightly. It doesn't appear to leak when the machine is on and running and it seems to run just fine. The leak will stop if I close the fuel shutoff valve, so this is what I've been doing when moving the machine around.

I recently replaced the bowl and bowl nut seals because they were leaking. I also replaced the bowl nut because it somehow disappeared during my tune-up. I cleaned the carb out and checked the float adjustment (verified with 11/64" drill bit). The float needle clip long end is facing the choke. I have the bowl notch properly aligned with the float clip as well. The float does not have any gas in it, and I tested the fuel cutoff when the float is in the up position. I had the bowl off and saw gas coming out when the float was down, and I gently raised the float to the full height and gas stopped. Everything seems to be adjusted properly.

What am I missing here?

Carb:TEC-640052

Sponsored Links

NH

12-17-10, 10:05 AM   #2  
I would recomend replacing the needle & seat. they could have a little varnish on them keeping the needle from closing tightly. The needle & seat are inexpensive. The gas we have today starts turning to varnish in 30 days plus running 10% ethonal doesn't help. If the needle & seat have never been replaced, the ethonal could be the problem.

Search this Thread