Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor cleaner as a starter fluid?

NH

12-18-10, 09:34 AM   #1  
Carburetor cleaner as a starter fluid?

I have been doing some reading online an watching tv and it seems as though i can use carburetor cleaner to start stubborn engines. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-18-10, 10:43 AM   #2  
Sometimes it works ok, depends on the brand/what's in it. Some of it makes really noxious fumes when it burns.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

12-18-10, 04:56 PM   #3  
well its petroleum based with acetone and oxygen added. how would that work?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-19-10, 05:01 PM   #4  
It will probably work, although not as well as starting fluid (made for starting engines easily).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

12-19-10, 05:15 PM   #5  
Posted By: cheese It will probably work, although not as well as starting fluid (made for starting engines easily).
I've read that starting fluid (ether) can damage small engines. I have always used carb cleaner

NH

12-19-10, 05:26 PM   #6  
Two things: will it light better than gasoline? I have heard that starter fluid can explode engines. Is that true?

MO

12-19-10, 06:19 PM   #7  
Posted By: thedancingman43 Two things: will it light better than gasoline? I have heard that starter fluid can explode engines. Is that true?
It all depends on the environment, neither gasoline or starter fluid will burn in their liquid state, in cold weather you can throw a lit match in a pan of gas and it will not ignite, it is the fumes that burn, if you could get gasoline in a spray can like starter fluid it would work as well or maybe better than ether, as far as bad for small engines, neither have lubrication by themselves so overuse on a 2-cycle could result in dammage, as far a exploding an engine, I think that would be difficult under normal conditions. Have a good one. Geo

NH

12-19-10, 06:32 PM   #8  
so on a 4 stroke how would it work?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-19-10, 07:09 PM   #9  
Most of the carb cleaner I have used aint worth a crap for starting and engine on, although I don't use it for that cuz I never had any luck when I did try.
I do use starting fluid on stubborn diagnoses, but very sparingly. Normally only one cylinder and it only takes a few fumes to make a pop. Once you know the engine will fire then change over to gas. Starting fluid just burns so hot and easily that it could cause damage, certainly if over used. Burn a piston or cause pre=ignition.
Normally I use a small gallon gas can and dribble some fuel out of the vent. The ones I use can even fit a piece of fuel line so you can get into the spark plug hole even on OHV engines.

TX

01-08-11, 10:21 AM   #10  
I use spray can "B12". It has been so good that I think an engine that is going to start & run good will start on the first or second pull/"crank" with B12. I use on my pull start power washer with a 14 horse Kohler just to reduce the effort required to get it running. I drilled a little hole in the breather cover big enough for the spray tube to fit & give it a little squirt before starting it. I used it on a 'gifted' old Honda engined push mower & kept it running by 'squirting' into the carb every few seconds. After doing this for three or four minutes the motor started to run strong on its own.

It does soften paint & maybe it will cause damage to plastic parts & shouldn't be used but so far I've had nothing 'bad' happen.

If you have a scratch or cut it burns like heck & probably is cancer causing so try not to get on your skin or clothing. I don't use the liquid form because I don't want to use 'too much'.

Search this Thread