Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mtd snowthrower 310-600 snowflight 5/24 carb problem: help

CANADA

12-22-10, 10:58 AM   #1  
Mtd snowthrower 310-600 snowflight 5/24 carb problem: help

Hi went to run my snowblower and the carb was gummed up. Ran it serveral times over summer ran great. ran carb dry but must have opened fuel shutoff again 2 monthes ago...stinky sludge in float bowl, oops

"o" ring on low speed jet has crumbled and also got into float bowl.
Have spray cleaned out carb and now the engine runs but "Hunts", a lot ...and not responsive to throttle lever movement, seems to like to run with almost full choke

Engine: HS50 67160b
carb looks like a 632107, series one carb

Adjusted float ,but may have over shot the mark, it is level to carb body. Too rich?
Plug is black
Do I need a new carb kit to replace the welch plug inside the carb? or will spraying do the trick?
the low speed is 1.5 turns out, again too rich?
PB

Sponsored Links

MO

12-22-10, 02:17 PM   #2  
The black plug is most likely from running with the choke on, did you clean the tiny hole in the bowl nut(main jet) it is next to the threads near the top and is almost invisible on some, I use the wire from a twist tie to clean it. Have a good one. Geo

CO

12-22-10, 03:37 PM   #3  
Good Cleaning info here:
Disassembly of Tecumseh Series 1 Carb 632107

AJ

NH

12-22-10, 04:38 PM   #4  
Both adjustment screws settings are 1-1/2 turns out from lightly seated. As Geo said, that tiny hole gets plugged up quickly and causes 95% of engine problems. That hole is tough to see even when it is clean. It is only 0.0155 in or 0.42mm which is about 1/64 inch. Also, check the float. Tecumseh had a problem with them for a couple of years with leaks in the seams causing the float to fill with gas and not floating any more. With the float out, shake it next to your ear. If it sloshes, replace it.

CANADA

12-22-10, 07:11 PM   #5  
Thanks guys, Geo, AJ, Indy: I will double check for a clogged nozzle hole in the main jet. That link has some very useful info and pictures thanks. I see that I missed an "o"ring on the main jet. Never noticed the smaller hole... Also the float is still a float no leaks there, no sloshing. Will let you know tomorrow how things go
PB

CANADA

12-23-10, 08:23 PM   #6  
Hi Guys
Adjusted the low speed to ~1 turn and the hunting has stopped.
Still stumbles a bit when engaging the auger or changing the throttle speed, will continue with the cleaning then do the final adjustment

Searching for fine wire to clean that idle transfer port on the main jet, boy it is tiny! Needed to use the dime store glasses to even see it! My guitar wire is too big. Soaking it now and will try to blow it out in the morning

Installed a missing primer bulb, new auger belt and some used tire chains, in the meantime...
Paul

MO

12-24-10, 08:42 AM   #7  
Posted By: Paulyb21 Hi Guys
Still stumbles a bit when engaging the auger or changing the throttle speed, will continue with the cleaning then do the final adjustment

Searching for fine wire to clean that idle transfer port on the main jet, boy it is tiny! Needed to use the dime store glasses to even see it! My guitar wire is too big. Soaking it now and will try to blow it out in the morning

Installed a missing primer bulb, new auger belt and some used tire chains, in the meantime...
Paul
Use the wire from a bread bag twist tie for that tiny hole. Have a good one. Geo

CANADA

12-24-10, 10:36 AM   #8  
Posted By: Paulyb21 Hi Guys

Paul
even the E string? Try point of small sewing needle.

NY

12-24-10, 12:11 PM   #9  
The little hole

I have always used a wire from a wire brush, I pull it out with a pair of pliers and I try to save it but I usually lose it but theres plenty more.
Sid

CANADA

12-25-10, 09:07 PM   #10  
Geo, 38, sid: thanks for the suggestions. My one string worked on most jets, will try needle...
That did it! will assembly and test tomorrow.
Merry Christmas
Paul

MN

12-25-10, 11:50 PM   #11  
I'll probably get torched for saying this but here is what I do.

Before putting it away in the spring I dump a little sea foam in the gas tank, let it warm up good, 10 minutes or so, then shut it off.

Close fuel shut-off.

Change the oil and that's it.

I've had this Toro 8/24 since the early to mid 90s and it has never failed me. This fall I topped off the tank, hit the primer 3 or 4 times and it started on the first pull. Same with my lawnmowers.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I don't know why but starting the engine a few times a year for a short time just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

And a Merry Christmas to you, too.

NH

12-26-10, 06:30 AM   #12  
Posted By: Baldwin I'll probably get torched for saying this but here is what I do.

Before putting it away in the spring I dump a little sea foam in the gas tank, let it warm up good, 10 minutes or so, then shut it off.

Close fuel shut-off.

Change the oil and that's it.

I've had this Toro 8/24 since the early to mid 90s and it has never failed me. This fall I topped off the tank, hit the primer 3 or 4 times and it started on the first pull. Same with my lawnmowers.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

I don't know why but starting the engine a few times a year for a short time just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

And a Merry Christmas to you, too.
I do the same thing except while the engine is running, I shut off the gas and let it run until it dies.

CANADA

12-29-10, 09:25 AM   #13  
Well it works as good as a 30 year old motor should. Starts on the 3rd or 4th pull. Idles smoothly. No stumbling with throttle change.
No fears of using it away from the Ac outlet for the electric starter! The primer really helps.

The chains really make a BIG difference from those hard/solid tires.

Now need some snow up here to really test it out and adjust the main jet in some snow.
Thanks to all for the help
Paul

Search this Thread