Craftsman 11hp 30" Snowblower Drive Chain Broke?

Old 12-24-10, 02:13 PM
Craftsman 11hp 30" Snowblower Drive Chain Broke?

Happy Holidays everyone!

I just picked up a used Craftsman 11hp 30" snowblower from a pawn shop in town. The body is rough but most everything still works. I fired it up in September and the auger and drive appeared to work fine.

After the first snow of the year, I put it in drive and after about 10 feet, everything stopped for both forward and reverse. The auger still works fine, but now I have a "push" snowblower.

I took the bottom pannel off of it and there was a chain piled up on the housing. I assume this is my problem? Is this a drive chain? Is it hard to fix? How do I fix it, do I need any special tools?

Thank you in advance! - Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-10, 04:22 PM
Can you post the model number of the snowblower? That would help a whole lot. With the model number, we can look up the diagrams.

Old 12-25-10, 01:53 PM
The model number is 536.881110

The model number is 536.881110

Thank you for you help in advance!

Old 12-25-10, 03:39 PM
Extra info on what it might be...

Hi - well I looked up a manual online and have tried to narrow down what the part(s) might be. According to page 44 of the manual, the Sprocket and Hub (Key# 652, Part#583007) has lost the chain (Key# 656, Part# 583013).

How do I put that back on?

Once it goes over the sprocket, what else does it go over?

As far as the chain "breaking", it looks like it has lost one of the "C" clips and "figure 8" clips that you use when you add extra links for length to a chain.

I have a snowy driveway, so please respond!

Old 12-25-10, 04:28 PM
If you look at drive components section, you will see another gear. The chain goes on both gears. Your local hardware store should have the connecting link for the chain. Since the chain is off, bring that with you to the store so you get the right link.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...&prst=&shdMod=

Old 12-25-10, 08:04 PM
Which part does it connect to? Another sprocket?

Thanks for the quick response.... however, I can't figure out what the chain is supposed to go over in addition to the part that I listed below. Is there another sprocket that I am missing? Do you have a page number or part number of what two things this chain should be going over?

Thank you in advance, again!

Old 12-26-10, 11:13 AM
The chain

There should be two sprockets that are missing a chain, if you have the old chain with just the connector link missing, just do as the above poster said to do. It is most likely a #41 chain which ia a lighter version of the #40 chain, usually each link has the number stamped on it. Buy two so you will have a spare.
It is snowing here right now. I dont like the cold but i like to blow snow
Sid

Old 12-29-10, 11:39 PM
Wheels wont move

I have this same snowblower and it wont engage. I have checked the pins, belts, and friction wheel..all seem to be good. When I put it in gear everything just spins except the wheels. If I turn the wheels by hand it moves the chain but when I start it up and tilt the machine to see what all is moving it wont engage the chain. I think it has something to do with the star looking piece that the chain is connected to..it just spins...

Any suggestions?

Old 12-30-10, 12:07 AM
Just figured it out I think. I took the friction wheel out and found that the "star looking piece" that threads the chain is suppose to be welded to the rod. It's been broke off. I am going to have my buddy weld it back on and then I should be good..I hope.

Old 01-01-11, 03:15 AM
Now I no longer have the ability for the wheels to move freely. They are locked up? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread