Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yard Machine Snowblower used once - gas is leaking directly into the oil tank

NY

01-01-11, 03:11 PM   #1  
Yard Machine Snowblower used once - gas is leaking directly into the oil tank

I purchased my Yard Machine snowblower one year ago. I used it once last year. Last week during the East Coast Nor'easter I tried to start it up. It wouldn't start. I waited until the weather warmed up this week and dragged it back out of the shed. I discovered that all of the gas is leaking directly into the oil compartment! How is this possible? I don't know anything about small engines but this is unbelievable. The machine has a two year warranty and I'm hoping that this is covered. Does anyone know how this could have happened? Is there a defect somewhere? Can someone advise me?

Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-01-11, 04:17 PM   #2  
Has it has gas in it all this time, or during the time it was stored at all? If so, warranty probably won't cover it. The carburetor is letting it leak. If it hasn't had gas in it, it should be warrantied. If it has had gas in it, then it has gone bad and gummed up the carb, causing the needle valve to not seat, allowing gas to flow through and into the engine cylinder.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

01-01-11, 05:39 PM   #3  
when you get the carb fixed, I would recomend installing an in line gas shut-off.

NY

01-02-11, 02:14 AM   #4  
Cheese thank you for your reply. I believe there was gas in the tank. I didn't let the gas run out because we only had one big storm last year, and I was waiting to use it again. We had a very early spring last year and I just put the machine in the shed and forgot about it. I've learned my lesson as they say. I'll get it fixed and have an in line gas shut off installed (as indypower suggested), and I'll remember to run out the gas. Cheese, is it really necessary to put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank when I put it away in the spring? Or, should I just leave the gas tank empty? Also, the shed is on the humid side during the summer, I store about 4 cords of wood in the shed. I know someone who removes the carb and stores it in the house and then puts it back on just before using it in the winter. Thanks for your help. At this point, I can use all the help I can get......it's that or doing away with the blower and continuing to SHOVEL myself out! Thanks again.

NY

01-02-11, 02:18 AM   #5  
indypower, thank you for your advice. I'll do just that.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-02-11, 11:36 AM   #6  
I suggest that once you're sure you won't need it in the spring, drain the gas back into a gas can and then remove the carburetor bowl and dry it out, spray wd-40 on the internal carburetor parts, and put the bowl back on. It's only one bolt holding the bowl on and should only take a few minutes but should save you any hassle next time you try to start it. I don't recommend using stabilizer anymore in equipment that will be sitting unused for nearly a year, especially in a humid storage shed. Todays gas is so poor quality and the ethanol in it loves to pick up moisture and ruin metal tanks and carbs and the ethanol is rough on rubber parts.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread