B&S 17.5 HP carb question

Old 01-02-11, 10:56 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
B&S 17.5 HP carb question

I have a mower with a 31c7070154e1 engine. it had been running fine but yesterday it would not start. taking a close look today I noticed that the govenor link spring #232 from the govenor control lever #505 was broken. My question is where does the spring connect to? I looked at the piece on top of the carb (butterfly?) but I don't see a hole where it would go.

Old 01-02-11, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It goes into the same hole that the linkage rod goes into. This won't affect starting though. What is it doing when you try to start? Does it have spark?

Old 01-02-11, 11:37 AM
A
It is flooding badly. It would not turnover, so I pulled the spark plug out and gas poured out of the plug opening. I dried the plug, reinstalled and cranked it. it turned over and tried to start but stalled. when trying to start a lot of white smoke came out. there was also some oil that came out of the exhaust. each time i tried to start it would flood, i would dry the plug and try and the same thing would happen

Old 01-02-11, 12:14 PM
A
Cheese,
After I read your post I went back out and checked the peice that I thought was the butterfly (you'll have to forgive me for not knowing all the tech names) and there was a small hole next to what I think you are refering to "It goes into the same hole that the linkage rod goes into" that was hidden by some dirt. I will bend the end of the spring and insert it into the hole and give it another try. I kind of felt that there should be some sort of spring return on that part. I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks

Old 01-02-11, 01:15 PM
A
Follow-up, resolution

Cheese, I would like to thank you again. After I located the hole where the spring went, I stretched the spring and inserted it into the hole I found based on your response. Also, I changed the oil as the oil seemed to have been contaminated with gas. I connected everything back up as originally configured and cranked the engine. The engine immediately fired up although there was quite a bit of smoke. As mentioned earlier, there had been oil coming out of the exhaust manifold/muffler. I suspect that the smoke was just the residual oil burining off of the exhaust system. I let it run for about 10 minutes and the smoke pretty much subsided, just a little bit still coming off of the exhaust now. The engine is running smooth, the oil clean with no gas smell. Considering the amount of oil that came out of the exhaust when I had my problem I'm not surprised at the smoke I saw as the system heated up. I will add an additional update to this post if I find any additional problems.
Thanks again.
Frank

Old 01-02-11, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem is still there. The carburetor needs to be cleaned out and possibly the inlet needle replaced. The needle leaked, which is why gas filled the engine crankcase. Unless it is cleaned and repaired, the problem will return.

Old 01-03-11, 02:09 PM
that oil in the exhaust might mean a head gasket.

Old 01-03-11, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil will get in the exhaust when the engine has filled with gas like this one has.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: