Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower issue

KS

01-04-11, 05:59 AM   #1  
Snowblower issue

This past storm I helped my neighbor by snowblowing his driveway. What i didn't know was that there was a huge rock in the driveway. When I hit it the shear pin did not break, but the auger fin bent.

I tried to bend it back with a vise grip and then a hammer and it wouldn't bend back. Any ideas on how to bend the auger fin back?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

NJ

01-04-11, 06:57 AM   #2  
Im not sure how to bend it back. I would say you may have to heat it to almost glowing red.
But besides that the shear pin should of broke. Are you sure the shear pins were not replace with a hardened bolt or something. I would check this. I am suprised you did not twist the crank.

Mike NJ

KS

01-04-11, 07:03 AM   #3  
I bought it new and never replaced the shear pins since i've had it (I know they are made to break so something like this won't happen).
The tip of the auger is bent, so it should be simple to heat and maybe bend with a vise grip or something. I think you're right that I might have to heat it--the steel is very strong.
Would the machine work even though the tip is bent? (near the center gear case)

Super Moderator

NJ

01-04-11, 07:12 AM   #4  
It should work. It only pulls the snow toward the second stage impeller. How new is it. You may just get a new auger under warranty. You may just leave it as is. The bend may not affect anything.

Mike NJ

CANADA

01-04-11, 08:22 AM   #5  
The shear pins probably didnt break because the augers are rusted to the shaft. You should pop the shear pins out and try to manually turn the auger with the machine off and plug wire disconnected. You may have to free up those augers and lubricate when weather permits.

KS

01-04-11, 08:53 AM   #6  
The machine is about 4 years old. I will check to see if the auger is rusted to the shaft. I may see how involved bending the auger back is. I may just wait to see how well it works without bending it.

Luckily the augers is not hitting the housing, it's just bent inwards right near the center gearcase.

Search this Thread