B&S engine problems-burning oil

Old 01-06-11, 07:53 AM
B&S engine problems-burning oil

I have a (2003 or 2004) Poulan lawn tractor, model PO15538C with a Briggs & Stratton 15.5 hp engine, model/type/code 282H07/0231E1/031222XE. The engine is increasingly burning oil. You can see the smoke in the exhaust as it runs. A local small engine mechanic says (without seeing the engine) that it is toast and will need to be replaced or the entire tractor will need to be replaced. The rest of the tractor is in good condition, and I'm thinking of trying to replace the engine myself with a new B&S engine. I am not an engine mechanic, but I am about medium competent with mechanical projects generally. I'm interested in any comments, suggestions and recommendations you may have for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-11, 09:46 AM
I would make sure the engine oil level isn't too high and the crankcase vent isn't plugged.

If OK there, I would rent a cylinder hone, a ring compressor, a set of engine gaskets, and stick a set of rings in it. That may take care of it for about five years.

Old 01-06-11, 11:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, if the cylinder looks good enough. It could also be a head gasket blown.

Old 01-07-11, 07:48 AM
you might want to just look at a short block for your unit if there is a cross over. There was a model in this area of time that had an old consumption problem that resulted in a relocation of the breather in the block. With the air cleaner off and the engine running can you see any oil being pushed into the carb throat? If you do we found doing a short block was cheaper.

Old 01-08-11, 07:07 AM
Not looking up the specs, I believe this is an overhead valve motor, It is very common for the head gasket to let go between the cylinder and the section where the push rods go, as thee is only about a quarter inch strip of aluminum as well 1/4 strip of head gasket that separates the two, the piston will pull the oil through on the intake or power stroke and burn it out the exhaust stroke. If you are capable pull the head of and see if there is a small grove in the gasket,