Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chieftain Snow Blower Engine Info and Owner's Manual

NY

01-06-11, 10:53 AM   #1  
Chieftain Snow Blower Engine Info and Owner's Manual

Hi-

I just bought a used Chieftain 8HP Dual Stage Snow Thrower 25" C8250G.

These were built back in the '90s I believe in Canada by NOMA for General Power Equipment out of Illinois and sold as the house brand blowers in Agway farm and garden stores in the Northeast US. True Value sold the same snow blowers as well under the 'Snow Chief' monniker I believe... MTD bought General Power in '95 but not the Chieftain or Snow King Lines/assets... So they have nothing on these models.

That said, I am looking for an owner's manual for this model as well as the Tecumseh Engine manual for this model.

The tricky part on the Tecumseh is the engine housing on my snow blower has been painted recently with hi-temp flat black paint (and whoever did it painted over the engine identification sticker.)

Can anyone help me:
  1. identify the Tecumseh engine model
  2. advise where I might get/download an original owner's manual

The snow blower:

Thanks.

CB

Sponsored Links

NH

01-06-11, 02:00 PM   #2  
The engine numbers should be under the electric start button. Need to remove the 2 screws and remove the starter button. Also, the snowblower model number should be on the back panel between the wheels. The model number will help lots in finding manuals for the snowblower. Here is the manual for the engine.

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

NY

01-06-11, 02:39 PM   #3  
Great - thx. for the tip on looking under the electric start housing for the Tecumseh engine number... I was going to start removing various covers on the engine and start looking for alternate placements of numbers... I will start there first...

The snow blower model number is C8250G...

MTD lists the manual in there manual database on their site but it is listed 'not available'...

I emailed an MTD rep and he said that they bought certain assets of General Power Company in '95 and this line of product wasn't one of those assets... so they don't have anything...

Hoping this post might reach someone who has a copy...

I was able to find the parts manual and a site that sells some of the parts for the snow blower HERE... Although parts coverage seems to be spotty at best...

NH

01-06-11, 04:56 PM   #4  
Just so you know, "SnowKing" is the name Tecumseh used for its snowblower engines.

NY

01-07-11, 07:48 AM   #5  
update

I removed the electric start housing and checked underneath it... no luck... no engine model # found there...

Also, the prior owner who painted the engine housing black did put masking tape over the exterior engine stickers... I peeled the tape, still no model #...

The main silver sticker just has the Tecumseh logo and says '8.0 HP Cast Iron Sleeve'

I guess I'll have to take off some of the other covers and check... Thinking maybe it will be on the inside of the carb cover housing or the inside of the pull cord assembly cover...

If anyone has any other suggestions on where I might find the number, that would be great.

Hopefully, it wasn't on the snowblower identification sticker... I could barely decipher the model number of the blower off that sticker... there's some other faded number or numbers on there... but only partially legible.

i.e.

Search this Thread