Tecumseh Carburetor Problems

Old 01-26-11, 11:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh Carburetor Problems

I have a Tecumseh Snow King HS70. It is far from new, but has worked fine over the years. When I tried to start it this year by pressing the electric starter, I got nothing. When I sprayed the carburetor with carb cleaner, it would start for a second, then die. I thought maybe I left gas in the carburetor over the past year that went bad, so I took off the carburetor to clean. I ordered rebuild kit #31840, and replaced the o-ring, seat, adjustment screws, inlet needle and clip. I used everything in the kit with the exception of two silver disks (welch plug?), a large red cardboard washer, and a small black rubber ring with a tiny hole. I also completely sprayed the carburetor with carb cleaner and followed it up with spray from an air compressor.

After re-assembling and reattaching to the engine, I held my breath and tried again. I pretty much got the same result, although after spraying with carb cleaner, the engine would run for 2-3 seconds instead of just one.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've checked the fuel line, and the fuel flows fine. I also checked the spark plug, and I do see a spark.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Old 01-26-11, 02:59 PM
A
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Things to know to clean your carb here:
Disassembly of Tecumseh Series 1 Carb 632107

AJ

Old 01-26-11, 03:34 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
It sounds like the tiny hole in the bowl nut(main jet) is still clogged, the hole is tiny and very hard to see on some, I use the wire from a twist tie to clean them, refer to the pic below fro reference only as there are several styles. Have a good one. Geo

Old 01-27-11, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Snowblower started, but now the choke...

I followed the suggestions and was finally able to get the snowblower started. Thanks for the tips.

I do need to do some adjusting to the carburetor, as the RPM's drop when I encountered a full chute of snow. I'm not too worried about this, but one thing I wanted to mention though, was that I can't close the choke without the engine stalling. I start the snowblower with the choke in the FULL position. Once it's warmed up, I try to turn the choke OFF, and the engine wants to stall. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Old 01-27-11, 04:14 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Sounds like you have some restriction in the fuel flow, try adding some SeaFoam or Chevron Techron to the fuel tank, both will desolve the varnish as the engine runs, it may take a while, some say mix it strong, run for 15 minutes, let set for 15 minutes, however what works for some doesn't work for all. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: