Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S snowblower throttle issue

CT

01-06-11, 02:09 PM   #1  
B&S snowblower throttle issue

Hello everyone!

I have an Ariens snowblower with a B&S engine (20B414 0122E1). After firing it up for the first time since last winter it was running extremely bad. It was over revving something awful. After a quick inspection I noticed some damned mice had made a nest all around the carb . Somehow the little devils had pushed the governors linkage forward and their mess had seized it there.

I was able to get it to run somewhat before our first snow, but anytime I put a load on it (started to throw snow) the engine would bog down to a point of almost dying out.

So today I pulled the float bowl, and the needle had a ton of debris around it. Cleaned that up. Pulled the spark plug, and boy was that ugly. Replaced that.

My issue now is the throttle. It's either stop or full throttle. I dont have anything in between, and I'm not exactly sure what to do with that one. It was doing this the first time I ran it this year as well, so it's not a new symptom. Anyone have experience with this problem?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

NY

01-06-11, 02:55 PM   #2  
The B&S

You may have stretched one of the springs on the throtle asy. Or the spring may have just dropped off. Ethier way one or more of the Pros will see this and offer more help.
Sid

PA

01-06-11, 05:40 PM   #3  
In addition to sidny's thoughts, see if the butterfly in the carb moves as you move the throttle. If not, cable/linkage may need adjustment or carb may need cleaning to free up the butterfly's pivot points.

CT

01-26-11, 02:37 PM   #4  
Hi again,

The carbs butterfly was deffinetly sticking. I cleaned up the pivot point and its throwing snow really well now. I'm still having trouble with the throttle though. It's all or nothing, no range in it at all. Can anyone point out what exatcly I need to play with to get some range back, here is a pic of the setup:

PA

01-27-11, 08:34 AM   #5  
Did you have "range" before your troubles? If so, things should be ok with throttle linkage adjustment unless you changed it since. If you didn't, could be some gunk in carb bowel (sticking needle valve, etc). It may loosen up with running if you are lucky.

Search this Thread