Craftsman model 536.881850 briggs 8.5hp ohv snow blower, possible fuel problems.

Old 01-01-11, 03:53 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman model 536.881850 briggs 8.5hp ohv snow blower, possible fuel problems.

So at first my snow blower could run for about 45 min and then die. If it let it sit for a while it would start. Then the amount of time it would run got to be less and less. So I have disconnected the safety key and tried starting it with the gas cap off. So then I took the carburator off and took it apart and cleaned it and it still didn't start. I poured some gas in the carb and it fired and ran for a few seconds. so i took the gas tank off and checked the flow witch seemed fine and the hose was clear. Now i notice that with the fuel line disconnected from the carb if i push the primer gas shoots out of the gas line port on the carb. shouldn't it spray into the engine? I don't know what to do next other than maybe the float or needle are bad some how. both seemed to be clean and in almost new condition.

Old 01-06-11, 07:02 PM
J
Update

rebuilt carb, including replacing the float and needle. It started and ran but seems to run smoother when warm with the choke slightly on. Replaced spark plug with no noticeable difference. My next step is to engineer a heat shield for the gas line and carb. Any other ideas?

Old 01-06-11, 08:44 PM
You still have a blockage in the carb,, You'll need to take it apart & soak it (& all the Jets) in a cleaning soultion for 24 hrs & install a repair kit ... Wash it out & blow all the passages with compressed air. ,,, Post some engine #'s & the Pro's will get you Dialed in soon,,,, Roger

Old 01-06-11, 10:31 PM
I remember reading a lot of comments on this forum about that particular snow blower. Do a search using the model number. I recall one person fabricated a heat shield for the carb solving his issue with the engine dying after running for a while. There were also a few other mentioned possible solutions.

First edit: Here is the thread - http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...wer-dying.html

second edit: There are quite a few solutions suggested in that thread. Read it all the way through. There are many suggestions.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: