What's a good CC engine for a snow blower?

Old 01-08-11, 02:11 PM
Question What's a good CC engine for a snow blower?

What's the least I should get?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-11, 03:20 PM
Kind of depends on how much snow you normally get and what type of snowblower you are looking at. If you are looking at a full size self propelled, Then you need a bigger engine. Here is an approximate break down of CC to HP. This is from Tecumseh engine specs.
195cc = 5hp-7 hp, 308cc= 8hp, 318cc = 9hp, 358cc=10-13 hp. The hp differences for the same cc is due to different mufflers and carbuators. Just like a 350 engine in a Chevy Caprice does not have the same hp as a 350 in Corvette. If you are buting a self propelled, get at least a 200cc.

Old 01-08-11, 04:34 PM
I was told not to get under 9 HP... I want it just for my house...I have a average sized drive way... Aren't all snow blowers self propelled?

Your right about differences such as the way it's built, I read that online.

Old 01-08-11, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by rdn2424 View Post
I was told not to get under 9 HP... I want it just for my house...I have a average sized drive way... Aren't all snow blowers self propelled?

Your right about differences such as the way it's built, I read that online.
No. All snowblowers are not self propelled. I have an 8 hp MTD snowblower and a 100 ft driveway and a 75 ft sidewalk. My snowblower works great for that. My neighbor has the same snowblower as mine except his is a 5 hp. That throws the snow as far as mine does. Also, when you get above 8 hp, they are just gas hogs. My gas tank is 1/2 gal and I can do my driveway & side walk on less than a full tank.