coleman powermate no power

Old 01-08-11, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coleman powermate no power

Hello all,
I picked up this generator this morning thinking I could figure it out. Well, here I am. This is a Coleman PM 1500. It will start and run just fine but there is no A/C output. Here is where I stand: There is a capacitor that appears blown. AC350V 7.5 uF SJE M718 TV. AC61V . The plastic is quite apart. I think I found the part but want to know how to test where I am and what to do from here.
As I said, the generator will start and run...
I was getting around 5 volts from the outlets, nothing from the dc 12 volt outlet.
Do I find this part, replace it and go from there or can I bypass it and know to throw it away or what?
I did try to re-energize the field using a drill but there is no real change.
Thoughts?

Old 01-09-11, 10:18 AM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How did you perform the flash, or when you "re-energized" the field?

When I hooked up a cordless drill to the corded drill, I ran it with no effect. I switched the direction of the drill and it popped to life rather quickly. Did you try reversing the direction?

Old 01-09-11, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This was my entire process of bringing this thing to life:
With the generator running under no load I first measured around 5.4 volts at the a/c outlets. There is an a/c reset button on the front panel. The green button part wasn't sticking out but I pushed it in using the probe of my multimeter and it did stay farther in. After that I measured 4.8 volts at the a/c outlets. I read online about flashing the generator so I got out my corded drill. I put the switch in the forward position and spun the drill as fast as I could for about 30 seconds. I also tried it in reverse. I then read about using a 12 volt battery, running it through the a/c outlet so I tried that as well. Still not getting any power I took off the end cap there and that is when I found this blown capacitor.
I did unplug the front panel and measure there as well. At this plug there are only 4 wires. There is a black wire, a white wire and two orange wires. The black and white go to the a/c outlets (and a circuit breaker and the a/c reset switch). I measured for voltage at those wires and still only got the 4.8 volts....so in my mind this tells me it is something farther 'up the line'.

Old 01-09-11, 04:57 PM
I
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How did you spin the corded drill...by hand?

I had to take a cordless drill and used a hex adapter which has the hex all the way down. Then I chucked both of them together using the cordless to spin the corded....I doubt you can spin it by hand fast enough.

Pressing the trigger on the corded in forward I spun it up to about 200 RPM...no go, then I switched the corded into reverse then voila'.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: