Tecumseh 9.5 HP Engine / Carburetor Leaking Fuel When Primed

Old 01-13-11, 05:25 PM
Tecumseh 9.5 HP Engine / Carburetor Leaking Fuel When Primed

I have a Yardman 26" two stage snow thrower with a Tecumseh LH358SA 9.5 HP Engine. The unit is 4 years old. When I started it up this year it was leaking fuel from the carburetor after I primed the carb. I thought it might have been because I tipped the unit back on its handles to look at the auger assembly but it did it again. I then thought it might have been coming from the fuel bowl drain screw/button because there was fuel around it, too. I checked the fuel line and the bolt that goes up through the bowl but everything was intact. I also removed the cover that goes over the carburetor for a better view but I didn't see anything.

Does anyone know what might be going on here? The machine runs fine once it is started. Is this a problem with these carbs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-11, 05:32 PM
Update

So I was doing a little tinkering this past weekend and I noticed that the carburetor seems to be leaking fuel most of time. I tipped the machine back to look at the augers and I noticed fuel leaking out. My guess is the float is bad.

Old 01-25-11, 08:32 AM
I had the same problem with my snow thrower with a 5 HP tecumseh engine. As soon as I opened the fuel shut off valve gas would pour out of the carb and the primer valve. It turned out to be the float (had become a sinker). Once I replaced the float and the seals all works great (total cost of less than $15). My dad had the same problem with this snow thrower a few years ago and the shop he bought it from charged him $300 to fix it. I found some great videos on youtube on how to break down and rebuild a tecumseh carb (this is a common problem with these carbs).

Hope this helps.

Old 01-26-11, 02:16 PM
The gas leaks

Be careful with those gas leaks, I saw one burning up on ethier the weather channel or cnn, and there wont be much to salvage.
Sid

Old 01-26-11, 03:21 PM
Thanks. It looks like it is a bad float. Funny enough, the replacement float is made of a solid plastic, not hollow metal. I have to order a carb rebuild kit (just to be safe) and a new float. Got a foot of snow coming tonight!

Old 01-26-11, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it and it only leaks a tiny bit when I prime it. When I tip the machine back it leaks more. When it's running it doesn't leak at all. Got to fix it once the replacement parts come in. Thanks.

Old 12-15-14, 04:13 AM
Fuel line leaking

Have Tecumseh 8 HP engine on snow blower - was leaking gas by the carb bowl to the point the entire gas tank would drain. Took it to a small engine shop and they said it was dirty carb. They cleaned the carb and it still leaked, I figured it was the carb so ordered a new one on line and yesterday went to replace it. Once replaced - it still leaked. Come to find out - the fuel line had a nick in it right where it attached to the carb and this was the source of the problem. So start with the basic stuff first.

Search this Thread