MTD snowblower won't start

Old 01-14-11, 11:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MTD snowblower won't start

I have an MTD 5/22 snowblower with an electric start. It has been dfficult starting this season, but once started runs perfectly. Did a great job clearing our 24 inches of snow Wed. Now it won't start at all. It is getting a spark and after trying to start it several times the spark plug is wet so I assume it's getting gas. The gas is new and is high test. Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-11, 12:29 PM
I
sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning.

Old 01-14-11, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the engine a choke or primer system?
If the spark plug is wet with fuel, try it on half or no choke, or fewer primes.

Old 01-14-11, 02:27 PM
D
There is a choke and a primer (rubber push button). Once running, I have to leave the choke and the throttle in full position or it will stall. I have tried fewer primes and it still won't start. I'll try reducing the choke when I try to start it.

Old 01-14-11, 05:21 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Sounds like the carb is dirty or getting a varnish build up, you need to clean the carb, however you might get lucky, put some SeaFoam in the fuel(available from most automotive stores) and run it, the SeaFoam will desolve the varnish, good luck. Have a good one. Geo

Old 01-15-11, 07:19 AM
D
Would try the Seafoam, but sounds like I need to be able to start it and I can't. What's involved in cleaning the carb? Is it something I can do? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: