Tecumseh HSSK50 Carb Leaking Fuel

Old 01-12-11, 03:49 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tecumseh HSSK50 Carb Leaking Fuel

I have a snapper snow thrower with a Tecumseh HSSK50 engine. When I open the fuel cut off valve, gas leaks out of the top of the carb. I have also noticed gas coming out of the primer.
I removed the primer line, plugged the opening on the carb with my finger, opened the fuel cut off and no gas leaked. I put the primer line back on and let it drain into a container, opened the fuel cut off valve and gas just poured through the line into the container.
Is my problem either the primer, primer line or something in the carb itself? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-12-11, 04:03 PM
I
I would say the needle is not seating. Tecumseh also had problems with the floats. The floats would get pinholes in them and fill with gas and made them "sinkers" instead of floats. The way the primer works is it pushes air into the float bowl forcing the carb to "flood". There should be no gas in the primer line. You need to get into the carb.

Old 01-14-11, 04:50 AM
H
Thanks indypower. I bought a carb rebuild kit (no float, hoping that is OK when I open it up) and plan on working on it this weekend. The last two storms I have been shoveling so hopefully I can get this fixed before the next storm.

Old 01-19-11, 05:51 AM
H
Just wanted to give an update. I took apart the carb this weekend. The float has become a "sinker", full of gasoline. I will be picking up a replacment float this week and hopefully have this back up and running before Friday's storm.

Thanks for the advise indypower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: